Author Topic: Aussie IR Lesson - Gravy 1 - Nut Gravy  (Read 13235 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie IR Lesson - Gravy 1 - Nut Gravy
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00 PM »
No mistakes in preparing this one. I'd recommend 1/4 qty for home cooking.

Now to cook some dishes.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Here is another interesting extract from The Guardian article 2002 discussing "Indian" food in India.

"'The hotels made very commercial food - things like butter chicken. Nobody ever cooks a butter chicken at home. I would say 90 per cent of Indian hotels make three sauces. A red sauce, which is a tomato sauce, a white sauce which is a cashew sauce and a brown onion sauce. And then when the order comes they add the cooked meat or whatever.' In this country, as a result, all sorts of adjustments have quietly to be made for Western restaurant eating."

The 3 sauces referred to here are exactly what Masala Mark has described in his Aussie IR method of 3 gravies.

The article then goes on to say; "Nor do Indians drink beer, let alone wine, with food. ".

This is not similar to Aussie IR in any way.  ;)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I remember masala mark telling me on here, the butter chicken at the place he worked in
contained  no butter at all   :o
 Then again jb's chef makes a garam masala dish with none of that either
 :

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Yes, I recall my surprise at the little actual butter used in his Butter Chicken There is only 1 Tbsp of glee/butter in his recipe but 100 mls of cream and the Tomato gravy. From memory though it was quite a nice dish.  The method of 3 gravies used in combination and with varying ratios was quite laborious and the quantities took some scaling to achieve home use quantities. My notes from the time on printed sheets remind me that there were problems with amounts that I remember encountering, but in fairness he was providing a commercial process and he tells it as so, that they are huge quantities. My calculations estimate there is enough Gravy in his 3 recipes for about 100 curries.

These gravies are very concentrated in spice levels and flavours. Consequently, only water is added along with them in the dish preparation stages.  ie; No normal BIR style Base Gravy at all.

I gave it a try and it worked but it wasn't what I was after at the time. I may revisit the method again now that I have better understanding of curries in general.  Unfortunately, he didn't follow up with very many actual dish recipes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:56 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes