Author Topic: Aussie IR Lesson - Beef Madras  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Aussie IR Lesson - Beef Madras
« on: August 28, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Hi,

Here is the Madras recipe which is very different to the BIR Madras from the look of things.

All the IRs in our local area all have coconut listed as one of the key things in their Madras ie...

Madras - $13.50 (Mild)
A Goan style curry prepared with traditional Madras spices and coconut, creating a unique flavour.
As a side not, my wife and I went out for dinner a couple of weeks ago to an IR in the trendy part of town and I decided to order a Madras not having had one before. I must have picked the one restaurant here in Brisbane that didn't use coconut in theirs though, very similar to a vindaloo except no tang from vinegar. Probably more like the BIR type of Madras.

I took pictures of the pastes as I unfroze some of them for dinner use on Thurs night, shall post them as soon as my wife uploads the pics to the pc!

Cheers,
Mark

Beef Madras

Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp Ginger/Garlic puree (50:50)
- 2 tsp Mixed Powder
- 2.5 Tbsp Onion Gravy http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4923.0
- 2.5 Tbsp Nut Gravy http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4921.0
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Milk Powder
- 125-250ml Water
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- Pre-cooked beef/chicken/veg etc
- 1 Tbsp coriander leaves

Prep Work:
- Ginger/Garlic puree is made 50/50 rough ratio with a little water to aid processing

Method:
1. Heat pan, add oil, when warm, add ginger/garlic paste and cook till just brown, stirring constantly using the back of the spoon to spread/mash/move it around
2. Remove from heat add mixed powder, onion gravy, nut gravy, coconut milk powder
3. Return to heat, mix through
4. Pour in 125ml water, mix well and bring to a simmer
5. Add the salt and pre-cooked beef, mix through and simmer for 5 min or so
6. Add coriander leaves and remove from heat

Notes:
- Depending upon what consistency you prefer, add more water if needed.
- There is quite a bit of salt in the Base Gravies so very little is added, adjust to your taste though.

Offline BoneHoney

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie IR Lesson - Beef Madras
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Just out of interest, where was this restaurant located and what was its name? I live in Brisbane and am always on the lookout for good IR

Offline Poppa Dom

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Heres a BIR very close to Brisbane in the Redlands worth checking out (between Brissy and the Gold Coast) http://www.thespiceavenue.com.au/

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I must have been away for too long new members names boneahoney poppadom ha ha ha made my night

best, Rich

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Phil

My man i need to link up at some point (skype - in know we have connected but not connected yet - time difference) you have made my night with this post - i checked all the links incredible - there are some robbing baskets about

best, Rich

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03 PM »
My man i need to link up at some point (skype - in know we have connected but not connected yet - time difference) you have made my night with this post - i checked all the links incredible - there are some robbing baskets about

Look forward to a Skype chat, Rich.  I am normally online from around 10:00 -- 23:30, so any time then try giving me a shout.  As regards the pirated photographs, if my wife can take the trouble to photograph every dish cooked and served in our little family-owned restaurant in Islington [1], I cannot see why much larger establishments cannot do the same.

** Phil.
--------
[1] Link sent via PM; don't want to give the thieving b@st@rds even more images to steal ...

©2024 Curry Recipes