Author Topic: Big square wooden handled skewers  (Read 7400 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Big square wooden handled skewers
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the tips! - suppose the key is to be wary of extra-cheap kit. Like everything in life I suppose.

Interesting what you say about the volume etc. The Tikka from my locals always has quite a big skewer hole through the middle of it, much bigger than the tiny little BBQ skewers I currently have make. Funny to think, things like that could make such a difference.

I love your pics Jerry, you have inspired me to try cooking Tikka in my Chiminea too.

Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:56 PM »
inspired me to try cooking Tikka in my Chiminea too.

Solarsplace,

i was taken aback how good the chiminea is. i use my gas bbq to cook tikka most of the time as it's in the garage and not weather dependent. the gas bbq result is pretty good but the chimy is something else.

i fire the chimy up with quite a bit of wood initially and wait for it to die down. i then keep the heat up by adding a little at a time. u want heat not flames as the flames blacken the meat.

when i cook with the big skewer on an angle through the top it takes a surprisingly long time to cook - i've not consciously timed it but it's probably around 15 to 20 mins. i turn it once through 180 deg during the cooking.

don't forget the trick of warming the skewer before putting the chicken on - otherwise it drops off.

before marinating i cut each breast in half longways. if the breast is big i push the skewer through the ctr. if small i thread it on top & tail so to speak. i only cut the breast into pieces after cooking.

all the best

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Hi Jerry

Thanks for all the helpful info, much appreciated.

Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Solarsplace,

no probs. a bit of an update from last nights cooking. i prefer the big skewer taste and ease of cooking. i think it's the heat being lower down that makes the difference.

chimy warm up

jb tikka cooked on bbq skewer (20 mins, 5mins per side) Nb test piece - normally put 4 off on at a time

jb tikka on big skewer (30 mins, turned once) Nb test piece - normally put 4 off on at a time

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Hi Jerry

Yay - have the same Chimy (or one just like it) - hoping to try it out later tonight as I have volunteered for the forums Tikka taste test, so fingers crossed for later.

Better go and mix all up the marinades now....

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 05:22 PM »
For anyone thinking about ordering the skewers from Spices of India but are worried because there is no photo - fear not. I ordered 10 (to get 2 free) and Solarsplace and I went halves. I'm very pleased with them, I hope they stand the test of time.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Solarsplace,

probably too late to be of help - but my chimy luckily has a ledge at the bottom of the chimney. the skewer needs to be ~700mm long to be able to rest on it.

©2024 Curry Recipes