Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Group Test  (Read 21782 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Group Test
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Hi

Got the 'chunks' marinading last night for the final 3 in my test. Got to say like SS, I think chunks are the way to go if you like a high tikka to meat surface area ratio like me ;)

Left to right: Maddhur, CA,  Lasan

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Hi

Tikka taste test complete :) - results about to be handed in to be counted by Chris.

Left to right: Maddhur, CA, Lasan

Good luck Tikka....

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Good man, they look great. How did you like the new skewers? I thought they were fantastic.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

Those skewers are great, I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone who is in the market for some!

Tried to make Razors kebabs on them which was a bit of a balls-up first time as the mix kept breaking off - you have to get quite a firm consistency I think.

But for Tikka they are the business :) - the extra metal thickness helps the tikka cook from the inside too, lovely sizzle as you slide the cooked tikka of them.

cheers all.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Finally managed to get my tikka's marinating last night, and will cook all six tonight at about 19:00.

Suprising how different each look and smell.  Can't wait to taste.  I scaled all recipes down to 1/3 of the spec recipes.

I can tell you now, and I'm sure the rest of the testers will know which one I'm talking about, there is one that I will never ever ever do again.  I don't care how good it tastes.  It could be nectar from the gods for all I care, but it won't see the light of day in my kitchen ever again.  It was definately not BIR, that's for sure. 

What a bollock ache it was :( especially because I don't have a grinder and had to hand grind all the seeds.

Anyway, looking forward to scoffing the results later, and hope to post piccy's on this thread, and send the results to Chris later.

Ray :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 02:22 PM »
LOL, I had to hand grind mine too in the pestle and mortar. I timed all mine (not including making G/G paste). The fastest was 4 minutes, the longest 18 minutes. That's a long time to make a marinade.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Hi Guy's,

So here's my Chicken Tikka tests as promised.  Couple of nice suprises in there, and one real shocker but you will have to wait for Chris to publish the results, then make your own minds up.

All the Tikka's marinating;

Skewered, and ready to go;

Cooked under the grille on high, 2 mins each side, 8 mins total;

A piece of each, ready for taste testing;

Didn't think I was going to enjoy doing this one but thankfully, it was quite pleasurable really.

Two of them turned out really good, two of them was ok, one was passable and one just wasn't good at all. 

After teating each piece, I made myself a chicken tikka madras, using a piece of tikka from each recipe.  Unfortunately, the dominating flavour was of the really poor tikka.

Glad I done the test though, and can't wait for the final results.

I have a good idea of which will come out on top ;)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 05:19 PM »
Nice test Ray, let me guess which one you did not like.. cardamon?

cant wait for the final results.. so we can start on the bhajis

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Hi Fi5h,

Nice test Ray, let me guess which one you did not like.. cardamon?

He he, whatever makes you think that? lol,

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 06:55 PM »

I can tell you now, and I'm sure the rest of the testers will know which one I'm talking about, there is one that I will never ever ever do again.  I don't care how good it tastes.  It could be nectar from the gods for all I care, but it won't see the light of day in my kitchen ever again.  It was definately not BIR, that's for sure. 

What a bollock ache it was :( especially because I don't have a grinder and had to hand grind all the seeds.

Ha ha! thought it was just me! - one of them certainly was exceptionally tedious to make, even with a coffee grinder let alone a Mortar and Pestle!.... wonder how it will do in the overall scoring?

Can't wait for the results :)

©2024 Curry Recipes