Author Topic: chapatti  (Read 11473 times)

Offline glazburgher

• Chef
    • View Profile
chapatti
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Can't see any chapatti recipes (my bread of choice), so i'll post the one i use.

makes 1 chapatti

ingredients:
2 heaped atta (chapatti flour).
if no chapatti flour use: 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour + 1 heaped tablespoon wholemeal flour
salt
water

instructions:
-sieve flour into bowl (usually don't bother with the sieving)
-add pinch of salt
-add enough water  & mix so not sticky but will from solid ball
- kneed for a few mins
- leave for at least 30 min
-if making more than 1 chap separate into ping pong size balls
-roll out to desired size (dinner plate?)

-get (preferably non-stick) frying pan as hot as possible.
-dry cook chapatti both sides
should take less than 2min.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:01 PM by glazburgher »

Offline glazburgher

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: chapatti
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22 PM »
don't use gram flour - getting mixed up with pakora here. i meant chapatti flour or plain + wholemeal

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:19 PM »
glazburger,

i'm sold on naan's for curry night's.

i did buy chapatti flour (Pillsbury, Chakki Atta) a while ago and whilst i've switched back to naan for curry i'm sold on using them as tortillas.

i could not believe how important the kneading is considering it's effectively just flour ie no yeast or bi carb.

i was also taken aback by how much more difficult "dense" the dough is when the water's added - they give the impression they are going to be like old boots but of course they are the complete opposite when cooked.

have u tried naans and if so what makes u prefer the chapatti - just out of interest as a friend prefers chapatti saying the naan fills too quickly. i just could not get enough of the curry to sit in the scoop - ended up using a fork.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28 PM »
just out of interest as a friend prefers chapatti saying the naan fills too quickly. i just could not get enough of the curry to sit in the scoop - ended up using a fork.

That's an interesting observation Jerry. Chappatis are made for scooping, of course, but I'm not sure about Naans?

I don't see Naans as a scooping device but that depends on the type of Naan. In India, I'm led to believe, the Naans are preferred crispy and thin, which would make them suitable for scooping.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Secret Santa,

thick naans for sure are no good. the midlands tends more to the thin and crispy.

i guess i was searching for any improvement i could make on the chapatti front - i make my naans quite thin yet they seem to be able to hold the food better - maybe i need the chapatti thicker - mine are about 2mm c/w 4 mm for naan (both starting out at the same dough ball size).

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Interesting how some comments make you ponder. I've never really regarded a naan as a scooping instrument though with chapattis I certainly do. I use 8 ounces of flour to make 4 chapattis and would say that 2mm sounds about what I do. With naans I suppose I go a bit thicker than 4mm but maybe not by much. I think of naans either for dipping or laying a whole curry on.

Offline glazburgher

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Thinking about it, there are probably a few reasons i prefer chapattis:
like your friend. i usually find naans to be more filling leaving less room for the main dish.
chapattis are usually thinner so i find the ratio of bread to meat to be just right in each bite.
flavour doesn't detract from the curry
more malleable and good for scooping *as mentioned).
however i suspect the real reason is that chapattis were what i was introduced to first, as a lad, in restaurants during the early 80s.
Don't get me wrong, i've had plenty of nice naans but given the choice i just prefer the simplicity of flavour and texture of a freshly made chapatti.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:31 PM »
I too prefer chapattis over nans but haven't gotten around to trying to make them yet.
I'm too obsessed with cooking a good sauce to move onto breads at the moment.

Thanks for the recipe.

Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:39 PM »
glazburgher,

appreciate the extra insight.

i've been using 500g to make 10 off which i think is comparable to Stephen's 8 oz for 4 off. i've had a look a the packet which says 100g to make 4 off so perhaps mine are actually too thk (more than 2 mm). it say's to start with a "lemon" size ball - i'll have to try your suggestion of the smaller "ping pong ball" size.

i'll give them another go this week once i've made base. i'd love to crack it as i like the taste and the health benefits c/w to white flour

Offline glazburgher

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52 PM »
mmm, i would have said don't quote me on the ball size but you already have ;). from memory they were between ping pong and golf. anyway if you divide  the dough into
equal parts you should be fine
 i have just joined this site so have just started on my culnary journey, but even before, the times that i could actually be bothered to make chapps it would make a big difference to my enjoyment of home made curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes