Author Topic: Cheese Aigrettes (remember them at school dinner?)  (Read 11324 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Cheese Aigrettes (remember them at school dinner?)
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:47 AM »
For some time I have been searching for a recipe for what I considered to be puffed cheese balls, that we were served to us as children when we made the daily lunchtime 1/2 mile walk to the communal dinner hall. Those were day's!

Anyway, I recently learnt that the recipe for this is called Cheese Aigrette. So like any normal person I Googled and found an abundance of similar recipes. One site was called School Dinners which seemed promising and offered a recipe provided by an ex-dinner lady. I tried the recipe but it didn't conclude as I remember them. Granted it was a good few years ago now since I last tasted them, but something just didn't seem right.

Does anyone remember these. Moreover can anyone provide a recipe that represents the school dinner version of the 70's?

Thanks in advance,

Malc.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese Aigrettes (remember them at school dinner?)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:36 PM »
I don't recall these aigrettes at school but our school used to do a battered cheese-type dish that the muslims used to have as a vegetarian option. We used to swap our puddings for them they were that nice....

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Can you explain the battered cheese type dish? The Aigrette as I remember was a crispy but light ball orange coloured but the inside was like a souffle of light yellow cheese.

As a 6 year year old I would have said they were tennis ball sized but they may have been smaller.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Sorry Axe, can't say I've ever heard of them mate.  The nearest we came to cheesy puff type thingy's was a bag of "Wotsits" ;)

Egg 'n' bacon flan, now that was a dish.  Oh! and Manchester Tart, but enough about her lol ;)

Ray ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:18 PM »
The Aigrette as I remember was a crispy but light ball orange coloured but the inside was like a souffle of light yellow cheese.

These look similar Axe:  http://old-time-cooking.com/cheese-aigrettes/

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Hi Axe ;)

The cheese things were oblong, about 2 finger's width and depth...I could never work out how they'd made them. Really crispy on the outside and soft light yellow cheese oozing out, no doubt those big catering size mild cheeses that all the schools with kitchens used. Cheese just dipped in batter isn't the same, I tried that years and years ago. More batter-looking than the pic SS posted which look a bit choux-pastryish to me lol

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Oh! and Manchester Tart, but enough about her lol ;)

Ray ;D

We had a lass like that at our school too...she'd show the boys her frou-frou for marbles or sweets. :o ;D

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Hi
Will have a dig through my books. This young lady Domi, any one we may know? lol
Regards

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Hi
Just back tracked on the recipe @ school diners. Practical cookery, calls them cheese fritters (beignets de fromage) so will look a little more.
Regards

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00 PM »
We had a lass like that at our school too...she'd show the boys her frou-frou for marbles or sweets. 

now where did I put that bag of marbles? ::) ::) ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes