Author Topic: Cheese Aigrettes (remember them at school dinner?)  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese Aigrettes (remember them at school dinner?)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Hi
Will have a dig through my books. This young lady Domi, any one we may know? lol
Regards

'Ere I hope you're not peering over the top of your glasses at me there, commis :o

We had a lass like that at our school too...she'd show the boys her frou-frou for marbles or sweets. 

now where did I put that bag of marbles? ::) ::) ::)

I dunno Ray luv but I always wondered if her kids would be born with cats-eye marbles in place of eyeballs ??? Maybe she's moved up to ping pong balls? pmsl

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Think I lost mine years ago.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Maybe she's moved up to ping pong balls

Or cheese aigrettes?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Ah marbles, them were the days! How the did the large ones get called Dobbers?!

I am sure I have never heard of a Frou-Frou, I can only hazzard a guess!

Commis, yes the pictured item is what I have been searching. I am sure that is exactly what they are, it's just that the recipe I tried, the school dinner one, didn't work out to plan.

I'm not sure where it went wrong but too me, the batter I was left with prior to cooking was very loose. Where the school dinner method mentions using a potato proportioner to drop the batter into the hot oil, I couldn't have done this with the loose batter I had.

I also think I made them too large opting to try and guestimate a potato portion size. Having never cooked them before, I was unsure what to expect. They didn't seem to take on the orange colour I remember, which is more like Razor's Wotsit, no not that!

The other thing I didn't figure is that once coloured, they wouldn't colour further. So it was hard to tell if they were over cooking. But then I found the over cooked point, when the souffl

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Potato portioners were the ice-cream scoops at our school Axe ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Potato portioners were the ice-cream scoops at our school Axe ;)

Aye that'll be the ones, used for ice cream and mash. I can just see them them now trying to get the stodgy mash out. Good old school dinners.

Now pink custard, what's that all about!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Leith & Waldegrave have a recipe for Cheese Aigrettes on page 780 :

3 3/4 oz plain flour; 3 eggs, lightly beaten; 2oz strong Cheddar cheese, finely diced; 1/2 teaspoon mustard; 3oz butter; 7 1/2 fl.oz water; Cayenne pepper; Parmesan cheese, grated; salt & pepper; oil or fat for frying.

1) Sift the flour with the seasonings
2) Slowly heat the butter and water together in a large pan.  Immediately the butter is completely melted, bring to a full rolling boil and tip in the flour.  Take off the heat at once and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
3) Gradually beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth and shiny and of a "dropping" consistency.  (You may not need all the egg).  Add the Cheddar cheese.
4) Heat the deep fat or oil until a crumb will sizzle vigoroulsy in it.
5) Shape the mixture into even-size balls (using two teaspoons) and drop them into the hot fat/oil.  Fry only a few at a time, leaving plenty of room for them to rise.  Cook for about 7 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.
6) Lift them out and drain on absorbent paper.  Dust with grated Parmesan cheese and serve without delay.

Makes about 30.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Thanks for that, i'll see if this one works better for me. The mustard and cayenne will add to the flavour, I wonder if the School Dinner version I used to eat as a child used these ingredients.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49 AM »
If it works, don't forget to say "thank you" to Pru & Caroline !

Offline LKW

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Hi malc

I remember them!  I too have been trying to search for the recipe but to date nothing!
They were like a tennis ball soft and when you cut into them they were a gooey cheesy lovely stuff!  They were served with mash potato and spaghetti in tomato sauce.

Have you had any joy yet?

©2024 Curry Recipes