Author Topic: "Pie" at The Angel, Old Street, circa 1968  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"Pie" at The Angel, Old Street, circa 1968
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Does anyone (apart from myself !) remember eating "pie" in the Angel public house, Old Street, almost opposite the junction with Featherstone Street ?  And if so, what are your recollections ?  As far as I am concerned, the pie was out of this world, and it was by no means unusual for me to order a second portion, eaten with as much relish as the first, but try as I will, I cannot re-create either the flavour or the texture.  It was, I am fairly sure, a raised crust pie, but what were the ingredients ?  Was it just beef, and perhaps a small quantity of vegetables such as onion and potatoes, or did it include corned beef as well.  It was so moist, so tender, so wonderful ... !  I really would be grateful if any fellow "Angel" customers could help me get to the bottom of this dish, as re-creating it at home remains very very high on my list of culinary priorities.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Pie" at The Angel, Old Street, circa 1968
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Hi Chaaa,

Which Angel on Old street do you refer to.  I live in the Ashton under Lyne area of Manchester and we too, have an Angel on Old Street.

Don't ever remember eating pie in there though, had some really dodgy pint's, but no pie.

Ray
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:31 PM by Razor »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: "Pie" at The Angel, Old Street, circa 1968
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Ah, sorry, we in the South-East tend to forget that others might have an Old Street as well  :(  The one I was speaking of is in London EC1 ...

©2024 Curry Recipes