Author Topic: Hello From Perth WA  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Jenk

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello From Perth WA
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:02 AM »
Hi All,

I stumbled across this site whilst trying to locate a great curry recipe.

I moved to Oz from the West Midlands 15 months ago and I'm still trying to find a good IR!  So I have decided the only way forward is to cook it myself.

I'm note a great cook but i can follow a recipe and I have time to try and retry things until i get them right.

I may well be asking lots of stupid questions so please be gentle with me.

Great site!

Thanks

Jenk :)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Perth WA
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55 AM »
G'day!

We moved to Tassie 18 months ago. Great site for curry this though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Jenk,

very best wishes fellow mucker. i now live in warrington but school days were in Brierley Hill.

can fully understand the predicament given the quality of midlands BIR - it along with the banks's and the footie are the thing i miss.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Kris Dhillon now lives in Australia, on a former sheep station in the Central Tablelands of New South Wales, about 250km west of Sydney near the city of Orange (http://www.krisdhillon.com/) : you could always call in for some advice  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23 AM »
We moved to Tassie 18 months ago. Great site for curry this though.
Ah, that would explain your earlier reference to prices in dollars; I assumed (clearly wrongly) that you were resident in America : all is now forgiven :)  I spent a long weekend in Tasmania in 1987, mainly visiting the South West wilderness, but I could not stay there for the whole weekend so decided to move on to Queenstown.  Never have I felt so devastated in my whole life : having just left the vibrant, fertile, primeval rain forest, Queenstown was like a vision of hell -- 25 square miles of sterile nothingness : no birds, no grass, not a living creature anywhere.  Cancelling my reservation, I drove out of there like a bat out of hell, and finally ended up in Strahan on the Gordon River, but I will never forget to my dying day the nightmare that was Queenstown.

Reply to PaulP, added above to avoid increasing my total number of O/T posts : I think it was primarily mining, Paul : WP has this to say -- "Owing to a combination of tree removal for use in the smelters, the smelter fumes (for about 40 years), and the heavy annual rainfall, the erosion of the shallow horizon topsoil back to the harder rock profile contributed to the stark state of the mountains for many decades."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:15 PM by Chaa006 »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Bit off topic but I saw the devastation of Queenstown myself on a trip to Tas in 1979.
I just remember the barren landscape with tree stumps everywhere. It was some sort of chemical polution wasn't it?

The rest of Tas was very nice, apart from the leech attacks we encountered walking in the temperate rain forests.

Paul

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:11 AM »
PaulP and Chaa006

Yep, Tassie is a lovely place. I never knew about the Quenstown thing, most of the tales here are about a ship that ploughed through the Tasman bridge, killing lots of people. Mind you the way they drive here I am surprised anyone is alive. The roads are like the Circus Maximus.

©2024 Curry Recipes