Author Topic: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo  (Read 39744 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Hi Pete

Did you get to take any of the base sauce home to experiment with?
Did you get the base sauce recipe?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Did you get to take any of the base sauce home to experiment with?
Did you get the base sauce recipe?

I didn't, but I still have a little sample left from before
It is very similar to Kris Dhillons base
I will be trying to duplicate the demo curry tonight (I froze some)
I believe the only way to tell, if you are copying successfully,is by direct comparison to the bought curry.
This time I watched really closely to technique as well as the recipe
There is so much going on, it can be hard to concentrate.
From your comments, over the months, I think you and I, both are aiming, for exactly the same thing.
I think one of the most important things is using this old spiced oil
It affects everthing
You can't burn the garlic ginger mix with it, because it doesn't get as hot
It also changes flavour and aroma with reheating
Soon as the oil in the pan starts to heat, you recognise the smell
They cooked the garlic ginger puree for two minutes on high
In fresh oil that would be browned, but in old oil, it just dries and goes a bit darker
The tomato puree used seemed different too
Very thick, and they used loads of it in the curries
Only a dessert spoon of spice mix per portion too.
I will post my results

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Are you sure the spice mix isn't plain old curry powder ?  I find the restaurant mix actually makes my curries worse - I used 1 DSP of the Curry House version the other night and it ruined my curry. Back to plain old curry powder for me.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 10:14 AM »
Only a dessert spoon of spice mix per portion too.
Only! Isnt one desert spoon of spice quite a bit for 1 portion?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 10:18 AM »
I must admit to being very disheartened at the mo

On thursday I went to my local BIR which of late has been poor as the guy managing the kitchen has been on holiday, anyway he has now returned and the food is back to being fantastic. I then cooked a curry last night and it was distinctly average and totally lacked the taste. I dont think the taste is a secret ingredient at all (might be a preperation like adding firend garlic/onions at the end) but is more a by product, everything we have witnessed?I believe tends to suggest this.

I feel it is something in the oil in the curry gravy and will be going back to basiucs on this.

Do you remember ghanna posted something on preparing seasoned oil, Ill dig that post out

Here it is: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=190.0

Has anyone tried this?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 10:27 AM by Mark J »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 11:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply Pete.

You raise some interesting points and as I've mentioned before I'm still a fan of the Kris Dhillon base.

I think one of the most important things is using this old spiced oil

I couldn't agree more. I know I keep saying it, but I still think the 'secret', apart from whatever techniques are also required, is in the base sauce. After all, what is it that is flavouring the oil, it's the base sauce of course. So I think you're right that the re-use of the base sauce oil is an absolute necessity, but it also means the base sauce ingredients have to be just right too.

The tomato puree used seemed different too

This got me thinking. Could it be that it isn't tomato puree at all? Did you actually taste it, did the chef call it puree?
I think it could have been this red paste that a few people have mentioned. I wish we had more information on this red paste in general, even if this isn't what it was this time around.
Here's a thought though. Whatever it is, it is almost certainly tomato based. Could it be a well fried down can of tomatoes with a few added spices, paprika and turmeric for example? This is similar to what Kris dhillon uses in her base.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 11:51 AM »
Only! Isnt one desert spoon of spice quite a bit for 1 portion?

I thought it was a bit much for one portion too. In general the total of spices I use never add up to more than 2tsp (1 dessert spoon) per portion. So it might be 1 tsp restaurant mix and 1 tsp of chilli for example.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 01:06 PM »
This got me thinking. Could it be that it isn't tomato puree at all? Did you actually taste it, did the chef call it puree?
I think it could have been this red paste that a few people have mentioned. I wish we had more information on this red paste in general, even if this isn't what it was this time around.
Here's a thought though. Whatever it is, it is almost certainly tomato based. Could it be a well fried down can of tomatoes with a few added spices, paprika and turmeric for example? This is similar to what Kris dhillon uses in her base.
Of course! what a great idea YF, every time I have seen the red stuff the chef has called it tomato paste, doesnt mean its straight out of a can though (although 1 guy has told me it is), it could well be prepared /tarka'd etc in some way, interesting.

From what I have seen its the consistency of a slightly runny ketchup and very smooth, not at all like tomato puree

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Could it be that it isn't tomato puree at all? Did you actually taste it, did the chef call it puree?

I didn't taste it, but I thought it was just a thick tomato puree
Maybe it is fried down

I thought it was a bit much for one portion too. In general the total of spices I use never add up to more than 2tsp (1 dessert spoon) per portion. So it might be 1 tsp restaurant mix and 1 tsp of chilli for example.

It was just a dessert spoon he put in
When I first started making curries I followed Pat Chapman's recipes
There were loads of spices
His madras called for
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cummin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chilli
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves
Needless to say it was a very "powdery" dish and , I'm afraid, nothing like I was hoping

So a desert spoon, of spice, seems quite small to me!

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Are you sure the spice mix isn't plain old curry powder ?? I find the restaurant mix actually makes my curries worse - I used 1 DSP of the Curry House version the other night and it ruined my curry. Back to plain old curry powder for me.

I will know tonight ,if I ruin it.
Maybe it is just a bought curry powder
Whatever it is, it has a lot of turmeric, in it

©2024 Curry Recipes