Author Topic: Taz's Base  (Read 11614 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Taz's Base
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Have you seen chewytikka's post - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5376.0
That's the way to do it ( best Punch and Judy voice  :) )

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Have you seen chewytikka's post - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5376.0

Hi emin-j,
Are you saying ...that is the only way to do it?
Regards,
Mick

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:01 PM »

Hi emin-j,
Regards,
Mick
As regards BIR Curry it is for me Mick,although with your standard domestic Gas Hob you could never achieve that kind of heat but the method of cooking is exactly like I have seen in the three BIR kitchens I have been lucky enough to have watched my Curry being made.
IMHO everything needs to be fried in Oil to release the best flavour and not simmered in Base Sauce.
ATB.

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23 PM »

Hi emin-j,
Regards,
Mick
As regards BIR Curry it is for me Mick,although with your standard domestic Gas Hob you could never achieve that kind of heat but the method of cooking is exactly like I have seen in the three BIR kitchens I have been lucky enough to have watched my Curry being made.
IMHO everything needs to be fried in Oil to release the best flavour and not simmered in Base Sauce.
ATB.

Hi emin-j,
I would agree that most BIRs cook in the way that you have seen, this is the case in the majority of kitchens that I have been into and watched/filmed.
It is worth pointing out that Taz is a BIR chef , albeit he is Pakistani not Bengali.
I have seen him cook using this method in his takeaway as well as at my home in the curry shed.
I think the method is being lost somewhat if you think the spices are simply simmering in base gravy.
Regards,
Mick

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48 PM »

Hi emin-j,
Regards,
Mick
ATB.

Hi emin-j,
I would agree that most BIRs cook in the way that you have seen, this is the case in the majority of kitchens that I have been into and watched/filmed.
It is worth pointing out that Taz is a BIR chef , albeit he is Pakistani not Bengali.
I have seen him cook using this method in his takeaway as well as at my home in the curry shed.
I think the method is being lost somewhat if you think the spices are simply simmering in base gravy.
Regards,
Mick

Hi Mick,
I made the Taz Base this afternoon and for a matter of interest will try a 'the  reduction method ' on the first ladle of Base when I make the Mrs & My Curries tomorrow night, however, I feel if I am trying to emulate our favourite T/A's Curry ( Bangladeshi ) I need to follow their method which is as in chewytikka's post and even if Taz's method tasted as good or even better than our T/A I would prefer to follow the ' Bangladeshi ' method, but that's just me  ;)

ATB.

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Yes mate, I understand where you're coming from but as his base is a bit more oily than most because of his reduction method I would perhaps reduce the oil content unless, of course you wanted to use the excess to start your curry.
The base itself is quite a simple one, some like it some don't.
let me know either way.
Regards,
Mick

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I was going to say the same as Mick - if you fry your g/g, tom puree and spices first you will probably end up swimming in oil. When I cook with the Taz base I usually pre-fry some garlic then add the base but if you are frying dry spices you will need more oil than I need for frying a bit of garlic.

You can always spoon off the excess.

Paul

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Right then,made Taz's Base Yesterday and I used 450m of Oil from my dedicated Bhaji fryer, I dry roasted the Coriander and Cumin seeds and then ground them.
All went well with the cooking of the Base and the Oil that surfaced at the end of the simmer I stirred back into the Base.

Cooked our Curries tonight ( 2 x Madras ) and started by frying the G/G ,Tom Paste (watered down) then the Spices,first ladle of Base went in and I reduced this down as much as I dare having the Spices etc in the pan,second ladle of Base,pre fried Chicken then last ladle of Base,pinch of Garam Masala squirt of Lemon Dressing,cover pan for last 30 seconds ( as per chewytikka post ).
Job done  :D
And the result ........... very very nice  ;D

Easily as good if not better than our average local T/A but would have to do a side by side taster to see if it matched our favourite T/A.
As a guide the Mrs usually leaves some of her Sat Curry so She can have a taster Sunday tea time but tonight She ate the lot !  ::)

As Paulp said it was very Oily.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Right then,made Taz's Base Yesterday and I used 450m of Oil from my dedicated Bhaji fryer, I dry roasted the Coriander and Cumin seeds and then ground them.
All went well with the cooking of the Base and the Oil that surfaced at the end of the simmer I stirred back into the Base.

Cooked our Curries tonight ( 2 x Madras ) and started by frying the G/G ,Tom Paste (watered down) then the Spices,first ladle of Base went in and I reduced this down as much as I dare having the Spices etc in the pan,second ladle of Base,pre fried Chicken then last ladle of Base,pinch of Garam Masala squirt of Lemon Dressing,cover pan for last 30 seconds ( as per chewytikka post ).
Job done  :D
And the result ........... very very nice  ;D

Easily as good if not better than our average local T/A but would have to do a side by side taster to see if it matched our favourite T/A.
As a guide the Mrs usually leaves some of her Sat Curry so She can have a taster Sunday tea time but tonight She ate the lot !  ::)

As Paulp said it was very Oily.

Hi E-J and All

Concur with your findings!

Made the Taz base & mix and the Chewy Madras all 100% to spec and as specified using reduction method and the results were superb, absolutely superb. Beat my local TA no question.

Regards

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Had another go Saturday using the Taz base this time I scooped some Oil off the top of the Base Sauce that was simmering on the hob and lightly fried the G/G and Tom/paste then added 1 ladle of Base and Spice Mix then reduced it down to a small Cow Pat  :D
before adding another ladle of Base (scraping all the time)added the precooked Chicken then another ladle of Base and a pinch of Garam Masala then simmered this for a couple of minutes (covered),the final Curry tasted every bit as good as when I fried everything in Oil before adding any Base.

©2024 Curry Recipes