Author Topic: Zeera Restaurant Madras  (Read 68131 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Zeera Restaurant Madras
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 01:07 PM »
mix 1 tsp with 2 tsp boiling water and keep stirring it around until a desired consistency

best, Rich

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Looks a great recipe, one I'll definitely try soon.

As at the moment I do not have any Worcester Sauce or Tamarind, can I ask if Mango powder/Amchur is a possible alternative?

Or is it more just an alternative to Lemon juice?

Only asking because I have a so far unopened packet of Amchur and in truth not sure where to use it.  :-\

Cheers
Martin

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Hi Chaps

Approx how much of this tamarind sauce would you add to a single portion?

Many thanks

Russ
Hi Malc
You only use a dash of worcestershire in this Madras, so try a 1tsp of Tamerina Sauce.
Martin
The sour Amchur powder would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it would help give that Madras flavour.
cheers Chewy

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Cheers Chewy

I'll try and get some Worceseter Sauce and try it to spec first (as should be).

The reason I asked about using Amchur, is that I'm sure I've read it somewhere that it is used as an alternative to Tamarind as that tangy/sour flavour in some places. :-\

Martin

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05 AM »
the tamarind does need to be a hint and i think it's around 2ml undiluted per 300ml portion.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Chewy, unless I misread the PDF, this recipe calls for the coriander to be added at the frying stage, before the base sauce is added. This seems unusual and different to your madras video recipe, so just wondering if it's significant or makes no difference, or indeed if it's just a typo?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 01:12 PM »
Chewy, unless I misread the PDF, this recipe calls for the coriander to be added at the frying stage, before the base sauce is added. This seems unusual and different to your madras video recipe, so just wondering if it's significant or makes no difference, or indeed if it's just a typo?
HI NJ
Your right, this Chef and many others, add a pinch of chopped Coriander at this stage
it's more of a reflex when beginning the Tarka. Other Chef's may add a pinch of Methi Leaf instead, no hard and fast rules in this.
cheers Chewy :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Thanks Chewy.  I had previously always thought of fresh coriander as something to be added towards the end of cooking, so just wondered if there was a materially different effect to be gained from adding them early (like the difference in taste from frying garam masala vs. sprinkling in at the end) but I see from your reply it's possibly fairly arbitrary.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Hi CA
Thanks  for that! but you missed the technique page:-

Cooking Technique
Controlling high heat. is the secret of a good Madras, the heat brings out the distinct flavour of the Kashmiri chilli powder.
To achieve this with a domestic hob, cover with a lid and turn it up to the highest flame for the last 30 seconds of cooking..
The oil will completely separate and you will have an authentic tasting BIR Madras.

Hi Solarsplace
Worcestershire sauce is "old school" and has been omitted over the generations and replaced with too much bottled lemon juice.
The Tang in Madras = Tomato concentrate, lemon, tamarind.

Back in the day, when I was taught this, Worcestershire sauce was just the Tamarind
substitute and was readily available, the lemon was a wedge of fresh lemon, off the salad counter.
If you try it, I recommend only a dash i.e. three or four drops, because it can be overpowering.

chewy

Just working my way through 'Prashad: Cooking With Indian Masters' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/8170230063/ref=ox_ya_os_product) and came across Worcestershire sauce in the recipes for a few Parsee (or Parsi) dishes - Kheema Sali (a spicy lamb mince topped with sali, or straw potatoes), and the Parsi national dish, the lavishly complex Dhansak. Both call for 2tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.

What's good enough for the Masters is good enough for me...

Offline chillipopper

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 03:56 AM »
hi Chewy,
Just made this madras sauce with yer own base, with excellent results  :)
i used as high heat as possible for the initial frying of gng , tom paste and spices, (mucho spattering),
Didn't add any meat, just cooked the sauce out, (trying veggie recipies for the mrs)
Used about 500ml of base in all, must say this is a realy tasty madras sauce  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes