Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 126823 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me too.

I think we should be flexible on the cooking method used for the Taz base. When I cook with it I fry some garlic or g/g in a small amount of oil but I don't fry the tom puree or spices as that would require more oil and I don't believe it is necessary.

I take it the intention is to devise our best ever madras while keeping the base recipe the same?

Paul

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24 PM »
why b flexible? daft idea - so many recipes on here with people going i added this and added that - lets start off with the way its intended plz for once in this forums life !!!!

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Hi

WIth reference to http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5370.msg53209;topicseen#msg53209

Would like to fully agree with using the Taz base.

Would also like to put forward using the Taz mix powder too.

Used the cooking method as specified in the recipe and found no issues, it all seemed to work very well. I do think (at this stage) that we should use the method it was designed for.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:51 AM by solarsplace »

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:08 AM »
why b flexible? daft idea - so many recipes on here with people going i added this and added that - lets start off with the way its intended plz for once in this forums life !!!!

I agree with Gaz here. Everyone must strive for as much consistency as possible to make the result and feedback as valuable as possible.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Well there we are then, we use Taz base and mix powder to begin with and then start tweaking. I'm ptting forward Dippie's precooked chicken for the meat?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 11:51 AM »
i plan on trying the taz base this week. if anyone has a tried and tested madras recipe to go with it please post it. otherwise i will experiment with the typical madras recipes we all seem to use, with the taz mix powder.  Then i will try the DD spice mix, which  i have used since the age of the dinosaurs ! Nice to see some agreement at this early stage ! makes a change  :) 

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21 PM »
The only reason I made the "daft" statement about allowing some flexibility with the cooking process was that some members seemed adamant that they would continue to fry their spices and tom puree etc first. I didn't want to exclude them from any group test as I don't think it would make much difference to the final taste.

As far as I'm concerned the spices cook fine with the Taz method and there is very little chance of burning them this way.

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 05:00 PM »
My inclination is to suggest that the first round be as simple as possible (no reduction), and participants then comment on the results analytically (e.g., "tomato too prevalent", "too sour", whatever).  If there is general consensus on one or more comments, attempt to identify the cause and iterate until there is general consensus that it is, at least, "OK".  Then introduce a new variable (e.g., use of reduction) and see if there is general consensus that the results are now better than before, the same, or worse.  Adjust again on that basis.  Etc.

What do others think ?

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11 PM »
OK - if we agree on the method - could someone please post specific details on what to do or not do?

Am not sure if I have interpreted the reduction method correctly. Am I right in thinking this is at the curry making stage, when the first ladle of base is put in, it is reduced quite far down?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Documented here, Stephen.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes