Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 127448 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2011, 05:30 PM »
had a go at this curry today, and just finished eating it.

like a curry fool i forgot to put the pre fried onions in, i also made up and forgot to put the spice mix in.......................................

So i cannot comment on how it is in relation to a madras from the bir, however it tasted pretty good all the same.

i was cooking 3 seperate meals at the time, i used the base to make a pathia first, i used some tamirind paste for that.tomato and the usual suspects. by the time i was rushing i had chicken and potato wedges in the oven, pilau rice needing sorted out and the pathia wok cleaned.

the good thing is i got base left to give it a proper go tomorrow. will comment then.

i gotta admit though i actually quite enjoyed the curry with the missing items. i think this is gonna be a keeper once i do it right.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Cheers paul.  will let you know!!

Regards

Barry

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"Warm base" (was : Curryheads "Madras 2011")
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Quick but urgent question, Madras 2011 experts : when the recipe calls for 450ml warm base, is the oil to be stirred back in before measuring out the 450ml ?  At the moment I have about 1/2" oil floating on the surface ...

** Phil.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: "Warm base" (was : Curryheads "Madras 2011")
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Quick but urgent question, Madras 2011 experts : when the recipe calls for 450ml warm base, is the oil to be stirred back in before measuring out the 450ml ?  At the moment I have about 1/2" oil floating on the surface ...

** Phil.

Hi Phil,
to follow Taz's method, you should stir the oil back in to get the correct ratio for the curry,
Mick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Thanks, Mick : now to research "tomato paste"  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Well, the end result was "interesting".  I reduced the first 200ml base + other ingredients until the spices just started to singe, then quickly quenched them with more base, added the remaining base + ingredients, and cooked until the oil came out.  All the while, I had misgivings : it just didn't smell right, and I added only three pieces of chicken so as not to waste a whole portion if my misgivings were correct.   But, as it turned out, they were not : the resulting dish was, as my wife very accurately put it, "just like a restaurant Madras".  With the benefit of experience, I would make some changes : dilute the base more (the end dish was thicker than I would have wished), reduce the tomato paste by 1/2, and increase the salt.  What was a surprise was that the large amount of turmeric (far more than in one of my "normal" curries) was in no way obvious in the final dish.

To summarise : I can't go as overboard as Ray, but it certainly has the makings of a good Madras.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:07 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Not too much ginger then Phil  ;)

Well done for trying. It is interesting though the large amount of turmeric in this and some other BIR recipes we have.

I'll be trying more madras recipes and reporting back but I won't have any base made now until the weekend.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59 PM »
All the while, I had misgivings : it just didn't smell right, and I added only three pieces of chicken so as not to waste a whole portion if my misgivings were correct.   But, as it turned out, they were not : the resulting dish was, as my wife very accurate put it, "just like a restaurant Madras".

To summarise : I can't go as overboard as Ray, but it certainly has the makings of a good Madras.

I think maybe that puts you in the "pleasantly surprised" category Phil?

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37 PM »
So...just finished a batch of the base ready for tomorrow night.

What mix is everyone using for their Madras? I can see Taz's spice mix but nothing else refering to a Madras (probably in one of these threads somewhere but I can't see for looking  :) ) Is everyone just adding garlic and chilli at the cooking stage or ginger as well? What about tomato paste/lemon juice/anything else!

Basically....I'm a bit lost as to what to do  ;D.  I want to try and keep a more simply spiced madras, but I could do with a point in the right direction.

Cheers all
Phil

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2011, 10:42 PM »
here's achmal's Madras recipe Phil

Hi All,
I have come up with a madras recipe that I feel would fit the base, I've concluded the amounts are similar to what I have seen Taz use although chefs don't measure out, as you know.

450 ml of warm base,
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic,
2 tablespoons of tomato paste (slightly watered down),
1 tablespoon of mix powder,
.25 teaspoon of salt,
1.5 teaspoons of chilli powder (deggi mirch)
1 teaspoon of methi,
Precooked meat of your choice,
2 tablespoons of chopped coriander,
1 teaspoon of lemon dressing or juice.

Add 200 ml of warm base to the pan or wok,
Add the garlic, tomato paste, mix powder, salt, chilli powder, methi,
Over a medium to high heat reduce down until there is very little water left and the oil has come through, stirring occasionally, make sure you scrape down the brown caramelising residue on the side of the pan back into the mix,
This is the awkward part to explain, the mix should be quite thick. If you add the remaining base when the first reduction hasn't gone far enough then the flavour won't have developed enough and the curry can be bland.
Add your precooked meat, the coriander and the lemon dressing,
Add the remainder of the base and reduce to your desired consistency.
If the method has been correct then you will have a rich, full flavoured curry.

I hope that explains it,
Regards,
Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes