Author Topic: Roshney Chicken Recipe  (Read 28877 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roshney Chicken Recipe
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I had a quick Roshney Chicken demo this evening. The chef is really good and he said the dish is his invention. It is different to a Roshni Chicken though. Roshni means 'light' Roshney in his dialect means garlic (I think).

The secret is in the massala sauce. He used a third of a chefs spoon of it in my curry, and a whole spoon in the CTM. The CTM was literally that, a couple of ladles of base sauce and some UHT milk. It tastes very nice though according to my wife.

The Roshney is fairly simple with the trick being right at the end. He fried some garlic in a special cast iron pan, then when it was just browning he added some of the main pans sauce into it which caused a big flambee. The flambeed garlic was then added to the dish and quickly mixed in. This guys has some awesome skills as well as being a top bloke. He is hopefully going to start playing for our 5 a side team on Wednesdays.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45 PM »
This guys has some awesome skills as well as being a top bloke. He is hopefully going to start playing for our 5 a side team on Wednesdays.

Roshney Rovers?  :D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Chris, you must be well made up, nice one.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Amazing how infectious enthusiasm can be - I'm seriously considering crawling out of the Natterjak burrow and making a 60 mile round trip down the M3 to pick up a Chicken Roshney from Chutneys!  Obviously once there I shall have to reveal to the staff that I'm another member of Chris's hot Roshney cult!

Chris - did you learn how to replicate the masala or is that a closely guarded secret?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28 AM »
I think he is happy enough to teach me. Interestingly it includes Pataks Tikka, Tandoori and Kashmiri pastes. He also has a side business as a supplier to all of the other restaurants in Fleet. Every one of them uses the pastes. There was also coconut flour, ground almonds and tamarind paste.

If you guys want to give it a go try and find a day that works for a few people and you can come and eat them at my house rather than having to drive half an hour home. I'm sure Az will pop out to say hello and answer any questions.

Oh one other very interesting point, they use the KTC oil in the bases but they start every dish off with vegetable ghee.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 09:35 AM »
If you guys want to give it a go try and find a day that works for a few people and you can come and eat them at my house rather than having to drive half an hour home. I'm sure Az will pop out to say hello and answer any questions.
I have good friends in Hook, not too far from Fleet, one of whom is as keen on curry as I am but who can rarely indulge herself because her other half hates both the smell and the flavour !  I think she might really enjoy such an experience, so if this does ever look like becoming a reality please count us in (date and time permitting).

** Phil.
----------
P.S. Chris, what news of the Bombay Aloo group test results ?

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I'd be happy to join in a curry party if invited, but I guess Az has a conflict of interest preventing disclosure of too much inside info - think of the orders he might lose if we can all cook a perfect Chicken Roshney at home and don't need to buy from him!

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 10:54 AM »
That is true, but I'm the only person on here that orders from there (as far as I am aware) and even if I could cook a perfect one I'm not sure I'd be bothered to start cooking after a long day at work on a Friday. The nice thing is, if you master the Roshney, the CTM is child's play.

Another interesting point he made was that you SHOULD burn the spices at the start. He added a bit of veg ghee to the pan, got it very hot then added the spice mix, salt (tiny amount) and a HUGE amount of chilli powder (half a heaped chefs spoonful). This was then fried on its own for a while before the masala and gravy were added.

Also, he had a container full of pre cooked onion and green pepper. I think they had been lightly fried in g/g paste in advance and left to cool.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Hi Chris

Are you positive it was vegetable ghee that the chef used?

I read an article on the interweb (which I cannot find now) that was adamant vegetable ghee was pretty bad for you :(

Where as everyone raves about the benefits of butter ghee - quick example: http://ezinearticles.com/?Ghee---The-Secret-Ingredient-of-Quality-Indian-Dishes-At-Home!&id=937404

EDIT:

Quote: Make sure you buy ghee made from butter and not vegetable oil (AKA vegetable ghee). Vegetable ghee is cleverly disguised margarine flavored like ghee. It's full of trans-fatty acids which are destructive to your arteries and dangerous for your heart.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/937404

Do you think there is a flavour reason the chef uses the vegetable ghee?

Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I think you have to be careful what you read and accept on the internet, especially when no real evidence is offered. The statement 'It's full of trans-fatty acids' isn't accurate and very misleading,  it should read 'contains a small amount of trans fatty acids'.

Below are some examples for comparison, of the amounts of Trans Fatty Acids contained within 100g:

Trans FAs (g)
Veg. Ghee............1.05
Butter Ghee.........Nil
Dripping beef.......4.42
Veg. Oil blended..Trace

The article then says not to worry about the cholesterol, so for accuracy here are the figures for this too:

Cholesterol (mg)
Veg. Ghee............Nil
Butter Ghee.........280
Dripping beef.......94
Veg. Oil blended..Nil

This is information is from The Composition of Foods Integrated Datasheet available at the following link:

http://www.food.gov.uk/science/dietarysurveys/dietsurveys/

©2024 Curry Recipes