Author Topic: Dipuraja's Mint Sauce  (Read 34713 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Mint Sauce
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I made this last night, and my friend who's from Northamptonshire said it was exactly like her favourite takeaway.

Ingredients:

1 cup natural yogurt
1 teaspoon garden mint sauce
3 tbsp. blended mango chutney
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. caster sugar
Pinch of yellow food colouring
Milk (to thin out the sauce slightly, if required)

Method:

Whisk all ingredients together.

Notes:

I found that I didn

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Mint Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:14 PM »
Bought a mixed pakora starter from a takeaway this evening and this sauce was identical to theirs.

A 100% success.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Made this again last night but upped the mint to 2 tsp. and thought it had a better balance between the mint, yoghurt and chutney.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I've made mint sauce before by actually going to the trouble of making the yoghurt myself, as it has a lot more creamier texture and taste.  I shan't be bothering in future after trying this recipe.  This is as good as you will get in any restaurant ( and a lot better than some).  And you can vary the balance of flavours to suit.  Agree with you Steven i too will be upping the mint sauce content a little and scaling back just a touch on the sugar.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 05:43 PM »
How long will this sauce keep once made?  It's the kind of thing I would only use in small quantities so just wondering what the best way to go about it is.  I don't suppose it can be frozen in small batches?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30 PM »
How long will this sauce keep once made?  It's the kind of thing I would only use in small quantities so just wondering what the best way to go about it is.  I don't suppose it can be frozen in small batches?

It's good for 7 to 10 days normally. And being versatile it freezes very well :D.  So all you need are some suitable size containers for what you would expect to use, and you're sorted ;D.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I've made mint sauce before by actually going to the trouble of making the yoghurt myself, as it has a lot more creamier texture and taste.  I shan't be bothering in future after trying this recipe.  This is as good as you will get in any restaurant ( and a lot better than some).  And you can vary the balance of flavours to suit.  Agree with you Steven i too will be upping the mint sauce content a little and scaling back just a touch on the sugar.

Apologies Stephen for spelling your name incorrectly in my original post. ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45 PM »
No worries curryhell - funny you mentioning the sugar - have made this again this weekend and halved the amount of sugar and still found the taste to be really good.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I must admit this is probably the nicest "indian" yoghurt i've had, so easy to make and tweek to individuals tastes and always a favourite with almost everyone.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I realise this has had no replies for ages, but its worthy of a bump.Anyone cooking bhajis, or a hot curry should have this riata to hand.
I have used it for some time now, and it makes the shop bought stuff laughable.It really is identicle to the sauce you get in BIRs here.

A great find.

Will be posting my onion bhaji recipe soon, along with a fantastic xmas snack that any curry lover cannot be without when hosting parties. Madmatts Curry Puffs-been in my family for literally decades, and never fails to impress- always the first to go finger food!!!

Matt

©2024 Curry Recipes