Author Topic: Dipuraja's Mint Sauce  (Read 34704 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Mint Sauce
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Tongey - this recipe really is the business. As you can see from the posts by CH and myself you can vary the sweetness and mintiness. I never use any sugar now and it's still delicious.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Next time I think I'll reduce the sugar and add a pinch of chili powder but all things aside its almost exactly the same as the mint yogurt from my TA ;)
If you want a more authentic taste don't I wouldn't use "chilli powder"

I Always use a Tsp of Kashmiri paste (much better)

this little secret was shown to me years ago by my Indian friend
(my local Indian take away)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1123.msg9819#msg9819

I have always used Kashmiri paste in my Mint sauce ever since !
cheers
Layne
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:15 PM by laynebritton »

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for this great recipe Stephen ... I've just made it for the first time and it's got the 'wow' factor for sure ... my two years old twins have taken a fancy to it too !!

Lashings of this sauce over 'Blades' tikka tonight and whats left over the accompanying salad ....   ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51 PM »
cheers Colin but credit really goes to Dip, I'm just the guy who's made it loads of times and singing the recipe's praises - glad you like it - I also think it has the wow factor.

Offline xerxesvi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 03:23 AM »
I tried this mint sauce today, but made several alterations to the recipe.  I had plenty of fresh mint in my garden so I picked a good amount and blitzed all the ingredients in a blender.  I also added a few sprigs of fresh parsley for a more intense green colour.  Possibly my brand of chutney was sweeter, because after tasting it didn't require any more sugar.  The fresh mint and parsley gave the sauce a soft but very appetizing green colour, so I decided not to mess with a good thing and left out the food colouring.  I know it sounds like a changed everything, but it tasted better than many I've had at restaurants.  The mango chutney is definitely the secret ingredient that gives it the BIR flavour, feel free to add fresh mint and still get a great results.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 07:42 AM »
Just reviewed the recipe, in the light of the favourable comments and my recent success with my own recipe, and I see that they are remarkably similar; Dip has :

Ingredients:

1 cup natural yogurt
1 teaspoon garden mint sauce
3 tbsp. blended mango chutney
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. caster sugar
Pinch of yellow food colouring
Milk (to thin out the sauce slightly, if required)
whilst mine has lime juice where Dip has lemon, and water where Dip has milk (I use no sugar).  The parsley for the green colour is an interesting idea, as my recent purchase of liquid green colouring (a different brand to my previous one) has  unfortunately resulted in the "wrong" green, both for pulao rice and for mint sauce.  And I agree with xerxesvi :  "The mango chutney is definitely the secret ingredient that gives it the BIR flavour".

** Phil.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:58 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Last night I spoke to a BIR waiter. He said there was yoghurt, sugar and milk in the mint sauce.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49 PM »
I've taken to omitting the sugar from this recipe also as I find that with decent yoghurt it is sweet enough with out it.

Offline anarack

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 05:03 PM »
The restaurant which was my favourite in Portsmouth many years ago told me that they used an amount of ripe banana in their mint sauce - it adds sweetness, body and balances the flavour out - I haven't made it for a while but I remember using it in the past with great success along with a part teaspoon of ambchoor powder as I remember - As soon as I make another batch I will post recipe again.

Thanks

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Ok guys. Stupid time. How much is a 'cup'? Uk or Us cup measure or ml? Ta.

©2024 Curry Recipes