Author Topic: Chicken Pathia with Taz Base  (Read 35943 times)

Bing

Re: Chicken Pathia with Taz Base
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 01:10 PM »
I be making this for a bulk gathering  8) thank you.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Stephen Lindsay's venerable Chicken Pathia recipe is so old, it's grown a beard, but like many simple masterpieces, it deserves another public outing.

I was flicking (virtually) through my curry recipes and came across this 2011 gem hidden away in the depths of my hard drive. I'm sure that I must have prepared the dish at some point, but my memory fails me.

Anyway, at the time it was published I adapted Stephen's Taz base single portion recipe to a double portion dish more suited to my own curry method and finally cooked it last night. No photos I'm afraid, but it was as delicious as I've come to expect from Stephen's recipes.

There's one mystery outstanding, though. My written adaptation (see below) has additional ingredients to turn the Pathia into a Glasgow Masaladar. I had always been under the impression that Stephen had written this, but having read through the original thread, there is no reference to a Masaladar. The term doesn't turn up in a site search either, so it's a bit of a mystery where I got this from.

Anyway, I cooked the Masaladar version of Stephen's Pathia and it was really good. Had I been cooking for myself solely, I would have added a couple of sliced green chillies, but it was excellent without the added heat. Give it try - you won't be disappointed!

CHICKEN PATHIA BY STEPHEN LINDSAY
Adapted from the Taz Base method

Serves: 2

Ingredients

For the Pathia

3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp tomato puree in 4 tbsp water
1.5 tsp mix powder
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp dried methi leaves
2 portions pre-cooked chicken
450 ml base gravy
1.5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp mango chutney
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 fresh tomatoes, quartered

For a Masaladar

0.5 pre-cooked, sliced green pepper
1 tbsp tamarind sauce
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
large pinch of fresh coriander, chopped finely

To Garnish

fresh coriander, chopped finely

Method

Add the oil to the pan and heat over a medium flame.

Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or so.

Add the mix powder, salt, chilli powder and methi and cook. Add a little base gravy to avoid burning the spices and reduce down to a thick, runny paste.

Add your chicken and coat in the sauce.

Add base gravy, a ladle at a time, until the gravy is reduced to the desired consistency.

Add the sugar and mango chutney, stir in, then add the lemon juice. Stir in, then add the fresh tomatoes and serve, garnished with fresh coriander.

For a Glasgow Masaladar Curry

Add the green pepper slices with the chicken.

Add the tamarind sauce, tomato ketchup, distilled white vinegar and fresh coriander with the lemon juice.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Naga

You are indeed right, I did not write about the Masaladar, it's not a curry I've ever eaten. We do have it on menus here on the east coast of Scotland but it's not something I have ever tried. Now that I know it is similar to a Pathia perhaps I should try it.

Glad to hear you like the Pathia, it's a recipe I've never felt I needed to change and I still use it to the present day.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 10:51 AM »
It may well be EuanW's comment of which you are thinking, Naga

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 09:21 PM »
That's the very source - I remember it now, especially from the Giffnock reference. Well, I'm very happy to report that the suggested additions marry very well with Stephen's excellent Pathia.

©2024 Curry Recipes