Author Topic: Mouchak base sauce  (Read 8865 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mouchak base sauce
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:45 PM »
hi guys if you have any comments/questions on this topic i have posted then put them in here

regards
gary :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mouchak base sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Hi gary,

Thanks for posting this. Is it from a BIR or your own recipe based on the Mouchak?

Just one question on the recipe:

The 200 ml passata. Is that 100 ml of passata mixed with 100 ml of water?
Would a jar of passata from the supermarket be the right stuff to use?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:34 PM »
hi paul
bottle or cartons the cartons are 500ml for under 50p in asda and thats not the smart price which is 29p

regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:42 PM »
hi guys i also add some spiced water

500ml hot water
a piece of cinnanmon bark
1 black cardamom
3 green cardamoms
2 cloves
1 star anise pod
2 bay leaves
just allow the water to extract some of the whole spices aroma/flavour to soak for 20 mins before adding strain the water into the first boil of the base.
regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:16 AM »
seriously no1 got a  thing to say?!
gary ???

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Hi Gary, the forum has been a bit quiet the last few days.

Can you tell us about the recipe - is it from a BIR chef or have you done a scale back yourself to a home sized base?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:15 PM »
i was told the ingredients by Rupon who runs Mouchak (he is also 1 of the chefs) his brother Raj owns that and the more famous Raja of Kent in st. michaels also and the Raja of Kent in maidstone the largest in Kent. he has also cooked for me with my base sauce that i had previously been making from Rajver before we discovered Mouchak. i make this base all the time.
the coconut milk is by island sun and does not have that coconut solids in that some brands do, and it is not noticeable in the completed base. and it the most simple base i have ever made.
regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
i beg to differ about the forum being quiet, lots of guests most today 129, even now nearly 100. so what are they looking at?  btw cooked a habanero chilli phall for some 1 at work and they said it wasnot hot enough but she! does go into a restaurant and and orders a hot than hot chicken phall and she has to tell the chef to make it hot sometimes she is disappointed, what a chilli head is that! lol

am trying to get hold of some dorset naga chillies but where to get them? don't want to have to order them from the chilli farm online. had heard from a friend that they sell them only in the largest tescos.

regards
gary

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Hi 

I know tesco newcastle were trialling the nagas but not sure if they took off?  The fresh ones are out of season now until august i believe!

Regards

Barry

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:14 AM »
parker21,

i did read the base spec but i'm sorted on base and difficult for me to quiz you on comparison with the rajver. you may not remember but i make a "delux" version having misread the instructions when i 1st made it. i continue to make it and don't see it being bettered.

i suppose i should do side by side comparison myself. as a pointer it would help having your view on how this base rates against the rajver (with or without delux tweaks - i think just the addition of coconut milk).

©2024 Curry Recipes