Author Topic: The ABC of Balti  (Read 33646 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The ABC of Balti
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 11:48 AM »
George, this book has been a real eye opener for me. It has refreshed my mind and sparked new interest for me. Of course, it's not the be all and end all, but I am very grateful for the book and to those who recommended it.

I shall certainly be using it as my standard for experimenting in the forth coming months. :)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I've used this excellent book for some time: I use it for pre-cooking lamb; making Bomaby spud, and I also use the Bhuna recpie, which I've tweeked a bit!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Here's a way of almost effectively doubling the size of the book. I think most of the recipes are described as 'Balti this' or 'Balti that' and, of course, they make use of the Kushi Balti spice mix (powder). I think others may have mentioned it before, and I certainly found it for myself - if you simply replace the Kushi Balti mix powder with some other mix powder, like Bruce Edward's blend, or whatever you normally use, then it produces a BIR flavour, rather than a Balti flavour.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55 PM »
That is very good to know, as this was going to be the very next step for me. Comparing the change in spice mix between the Kushi and the IG I would normally use.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38 PM »
This very worthwhile thread may have alerted the market to a possible surge in demand.
Here's the book on eBay. Yours for only 31 pounds:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Authentic-Balti-Curry-Restaurant-Recipes-Revealed-/160550005862?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item256186ac66

The "book I want" is the seller's ID but not at that price. What a darn rip-off when it's easy to find for nearer 10 quid.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I'm glad this book is getting a good review here. I paid about 11 quid from Amazon some months ago and when it came I thought it was a really fat book.

It turned out some fool who dispatched it at Amazon had posted me a sealed pack of 5 copies of the book!

Suffice to say I have already given away the extra 4 copies to family and friends.

Paul

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Suffice to say I have already given away the extra 4 copies to family and friends.

That wasn't via fleabay for 31 quid was it? :P

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 04:21 PM »
The "book I want" is the seller's ID but not at that price. What a darn rip-off when it's easy to find for nearer 10 quid.
Not really a rip-off, since within the listing it quite clearly says "Pub Price

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Not really a rip-off, since within the listing it quite clearly says "Pub Price

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31 PM »
At the risk of being accused of ignoring my own signature ...

Even if you are not the seller on this occasion, it sounds like you are sympathetic and supportive towards traders who can successfully get away with a rip-off.
No, I am no more sympathetic to this vendor and his/her attempt to extract money from the rich and gullible than I am to those persons (usually, but not invariably, from Nigeria) who purport to have inherited or otherwise come by vast sums of money which they then wish to transfer to this country.  But nor am I in the least sympathetic to those stupid enough to fall for their scams.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes