Author Topic: The ABC of Balti  (Read 33686 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The ABC of Balti
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Hi
I would liken to guess that the ebay seller is inter mating that the book is no longer in print?

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I am to those persons (usually, but not invariably, from Nigeria) who purport to have inherited or otherwise come by vast sums of money which they then wish to transfer to this country.  But nor am I in the least sympathetic to those stupid enough to fall for their scams.

** Phil.

Commonly known as "GREED"

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Following earlier discussions on the use of a regular BIR spice mix with the Kushi base and recipes, I spent the day thinking about what to create tonight. Actually, at that point I was surprised at my continued enthusiasm to make yet another curry, as I had imagined I would be pretty much curried out. To add to this, the wife phoned me at work to say that her usual evening shift at a local care home has been cancelled but she had already started cooking her dinner before the call.

So cutting a long story short, I decided on two dishes. Firstly, the Kushi Chicken Dopiza but made using the IG Spice Mix. The second having been totally inspired by Unclefranks stuffed paratha, would be a Kushi Keema Paratha.

So to the Dopiza, I followed the recipe in the main but made three changes. I cooked separately, onion rings in oil then added a little spice mix to colour and flavour, replced the use of the Kushi spice mix with the IG Spice Mix and used 200ml of base to reduce.

The finish recipe was good and both myself and the wife who had a taster, enjoyed it. However, it was not representative of a Dopiza IG would turn out. Before writing the idea off, of simply replacing the spice mix, I would add: I used 200ml of base and reduced it down as I like a thick sauce, especially in a Dopiza. The problem here is that the Kushi base is quite fragrant with Cassia Bark. This was quite noticeable and I wonder if the base reduction might have added to this. The recipe itself also asks for a pinch of sugar and a moderate pinch it got. but to my surprise the small amount of sugar added, had quite an affect on the dish. The IG spice mix though, did come through to give a little background BIR essence.

So to conclude, it may be possible to convert the Balti recipes to BIR by changing the Spice Mix, but consideration should be given to the recipe requirements as well.

Another first for me tonight was the stuffed Paraths with Keema. This was made using both the Kushi Kebab Keema and the Paratha recipes. Keen to find out the process to stuff a Paratha I came across Sanjay http://www.vahrehvah.com/Keema+Paratha+:1705 Which answered my questions. So having portioned my Keema I made the Paratha as describe in the video.

The finished results were very good. I made one slight error in not trusting the measurement of the keema. I chickened out and decided I had to much, so used less. The obvious result is that I didn't quite get the coverage that would have been more desirable. But another great result none the less.

ABC Dopiaza with IG spice mix

ABC Keema Paratha
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:42 PM by Axe »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Hey Malc,

Just found this thread from a while back, where the book didn't seem to get the rave reviews it's getting today.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=618.0

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but early post's seem to be more negative than possitive.

How strange ???

Ray :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Malc,

Sorry to point you to another thread without giving due respect on your "Kushi" journey. 

The Dupiaza looks fantastic as does your stuffed paratha.

You've really inspired me to dig out my ABC book, and knock a batch of the base up this weekend, with a few ideas in mind.

I'm certainly going to give the Prawn Sagwala ago, based on your rave review.

Cheers matey,

Ray ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12 AM »
Ray,

I read through about 30% of the topic. It certainly does get mixed reviews. I'm not sure what to make of it. Perhaps, at that time, some books or ideas were more in vogue than others, or maybe just that people invariably are always sceptical. Of course, there will always be people that really don't like it.

I know this book isn't the be all and end all and that it isn't strictly what we call BIR, but it produces very good dishes that can easily be adjusted/modified to suit the readers palette. I have certainly enjoyed the journey so far and it has inspired me no end.

Did you note that the Dopiaza is actually a different colour to the others?  :)

I hope you enjoy the Sagwala as much as I did. Please don't shoot the messenger if you have to fish out the prawns. ;)

I'm glad you have enjoyed the topic, I really hope it inspires other members to give it a go. It has been invaluable.

The journey continues......

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 01:15 AM »
The problem here is that the Kushi base is quite fragrant with Cassia Bark.

I should have mentioned that the initial phase of my BIR-isation of some of the Balti recipes was to replace the base with a typical BIR base as well. I normally use the MarkJ base. It doesn't include any cassia bark.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Yes that woud have quite an affect, it does make sense and gives me direction going forward.

I questioned the Cassia Bark quantity measurements earlier this week and aired on the side of caution. But despite this and having a good overall taste, I feel now that I would enjoy the final dishes better if I significantly reduced or removed the Cassia Bark all together. So this will be my next step. If there is any loss in flavour in the final dish because of this, I should be able to add a small amount of ground cinnamon to compensate a little, or at least that's what I am hoping.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:44 PM by Axe »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
The ABC of Balti and beyond.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 01:26 AM »
Tonight's efforts draw conclusion on the successes this book has afforded me and not without a bang either! What follows is an explanation of what I did tonight.

Having tried various alternative methods for pre-cooked chicken, I have always preferred the no nonsense 'done in the oven' approach. Following tests during this weeks ABC Curry Fest', I came to try the following recipe which turned out to very good indeed.

Quick Pre-cook Chicken
(Approx. amounts)
2 Chicken breasts
1 tsp IG Spice Mix
1 tsp Fenugreek
1 dsp lemon juice
1 dsp Mustard Oil

Pre heat oven to 180c. Portion the chicken into tikka sized peices and add to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and massage into the chicken. Place on a suitably sized oven proof dish, cover and cook for about 20mins.

Whilst the chicken was cooking, I turned my attention to rice and trying to better the pilau I made earlier in the week. With complete blind faith, I set about the following, which apart from being a little to oily was also very tasty:

Pilau Rice
(Approx. amounts)
175ml Water
100ml Basmati Rice
3 tbs Veg Oil
2 inch piece Cinnamon
1 Large Cassia Leaf
0.5 tsp Mustard Seed
0.5 tsp Aniseed
0.5 tsp Garlic Ginger Paste
4 Green Cardamon
0.5 tsp Turmeric for colour

Over a moderate heat add the herbs and spices to the oil in a saucepan and gently fry until the mustard seeds start to pop. Remove from the heat and add the Garlic and Ginger Paste and stir. Add the rice, return to the heat and stir thoroughly into the oil and spices. Add the water, stir and bring to the boil. Add turmeric, simmer for 5 mins, stir once, turn off heat source, cover and leave to soak up liquid.

One of my most favourite of Indian Garden's dishes, is their Karahi Chicken (spelt Korai on their menu). Now I have struggled to work out how you classify this dish and I have seen far too many variations of it, to work it out. As it is served in the IG, it is a dryer dish with a fresh heat served with large chunks of onion, green pepper and tomato. Having sifted through recipe here, you might call it a Jalfrezi but it doesn't come with whole or sliced green chilli.

Anyway, I set about trying to copy this tonight using the Kushi base and spice mix and the pre-cooked chicken above. To say I am pleased is an understatement and the reason that I have posted this finale to this topic. It wasn't to IG standards but it did taste pretty damn close to it and was much better than I have eaten at other restaurants. So given the other successes I have had from this book, I am very pleased indeed.

The reason it wasn't IG I feel was down to the thick base. It does reduce slowly but can leave a dish stodgy if you use too much, which I did here I think. I have posted pics of the first reduction, which I feel if I had reduced yet further, would have left me with no need to add a second spoon of base and a better end result.

Karahi Chicken (Serves two)
Pre-cooked Chicken as above
6 tbs Veg Oil (approx.)
1 Onion finely chopped
1 Onion cut into chunks
1 Green Pepper cut into chunks
2 Tomatoes cut into chunks
6 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
5 tsp Kushi Spice Mix
3 tsp Chilli Powder
0.5 tsp black pepper
2 Green Chillies finely chopped

Heat oil in a pan and add the garlic, green chilli onions and green peppers, cook on med-high to soften. Remove from heat and add the ground spices and stir for about a minute. Return to the heat and add a ladle of base and pre-cooked chicken. Reduce, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and 2nd ladle of base and simmer until tomatoes soften.

Both myself and the wife thought tonight's efforts produced the best results we've had all week. I'd certainly feel confident to serve this to friends, family and even fellow cr0 members. [shudders at the thought of critique] Just kidding I would very much welcome anyone's critique should they wish to try this recipe as is.

Thanks to everyone that has followed this topic and offered their help and advice.  :)

Pre-cooked Chicken

Pilau Rice

Karahi Chicken (First reduction)

Karahi Chicken and Pilau Rice

[/]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:53 PM by Axe »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Very nice write-up. Axe : many thanks ! One quicky : home-made chappaties in the last picture, or pre-packed ?

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes