Author Topic: The ABC of Balti  (Read 33647 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The ABC of Balti
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Thanks Phil, I confess they were actually the remainder of a pack (Elephant branded) bought from a supermarket to go with the Balti I made in the original post. This is despite the fact that I had actually mixed a dough in preparation to make fresh paratha!

The intention was to make plain paratha with shahi jeera and methi, that I mixed with the dough, following on from our conversation yesterday. I couldn't decide whether to stuff them with a lamb/potato/pea mixture or not. By the time I had finished doing everything else, dough, pre-cooked chicken, veg prep, etc., I found myself running out of time. Remembering I had chappati left over, I portioned the chappati/paratha dough mixture, wrapped it in cling film and through it in the freezer.
 :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I wasn't intending to add any more to this topic but the following recipe for Chicken Jalfrezi is quite relevant as it used both the Kushi Base and Spice Mix which I have remaining and that the ABC book does not have a Jalfrezi recipe.

Before I continue i'd to like to thank Mick aka Curry Barking Mad for all his help and advice and Chef Kash for allowing the LeSpice Chicken Jalfrezi Video to be recorded.

Mick highlighted the video to me as one to watch adding that the chef, Kash, has a modern approach to his cooking and dishes. The final dish on the plate certainly looks very delicious indeed. During my conversation with Mick, we discussed the base and spice mix which is seen in the video. With the ABC tests fresh in mind I suggested that the Kushi base and spice mix seemed very similar in appearance. When Mick confirmed that Kash's base was thicker than usual, I decided that it was probably worth giving it a go with the equally thick Kushi base.

In the following recipe, I had to decide what to do for certain elements these being the Chef's Masala Paste, Chef's Garam Masala and Chef's Chilli Pickle. Armed with Mick's own recipe and looking on here I ended up making both but they didn't reflect the one in the video so I actually mixed them together in rough quantities until it had the same consistency. I suggest however that anyone making this should make the follwing in equal quantities: Almond Powder, Coconut Powder, IG Spice Mix, Kasmiri Paste, Tandoori Paste, Tikka Paste, Tomato Pur

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Hi Axe

Inspirational & excellent posts on the subject! - great pictures too, they really do speak a thousand words.

I imaging you have helped the book sales considerably with these reports.

Must get myself into gear and try recipes from the book too. Was initially put off by the base method looking a little 'fiddly' - but it sure seems to be worth it after reading your posts.

Regards

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Thanks Solar,

What I really like about the Kushi base and spice mix is that it provides a really balanced blank canvass to paint with, if you get my meaning. The Chicken Karahi and Jalfrezi are amongst the best dishes i've made.

If i'm honest, I wasn't going to make any more Kushi base for while, in pursuit of other areas like the Taz base. These last two dishes have changed this and when the last two portions are used, I will be making some more.

I quite like the idea of pursuing the modern approach on cooking BIR.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Hi Guy's, 

I gave this Jal Frezi a try on both, Friday and Saturday night ::)

Just a couple of points to make; I didn't use the ABC base or spice mix, nor did I use the Chilli pickle but opted for Chilli jam, as it was the closest thing that I could get to it, without actually knowing the recipe for the chilli pickle.  As a result of these couple of changes, mine does come out a little redder than Malc's (Axe) version.

Here goes, please forgive my terrible photography skills :(

Ingredients; Front row, left to right. Garlic paste, Methi leaves, sliced onions and peppers, mixed powders, chilli powder.
Second row: 6 green chillies, halved, precooked chicken, Masala paste, ground star anise.
Back row: 2 tomato wedges, chopped coriander, Asda's Hot chilli jam.

Garlic, onions and peppers, mixed powder and chilli powder, 1st lot of base, all in.

Chicken and masala paste in, with more base added.

Chillies and coriander in, with a tad more base.

Chilli Jam and tomatoes in with a little more base

The finished dish.

Another shot of the Jal Frezi without the flash, just to show how glossy the dish was.

The Verdict,

Very very good indeed.  The chili jam adds that sweetness without taking the flavour away from the fresh chillies.  Not quite sure what the masala paste offers except colour of course but I haven't tried it without so I would keep it in.  I don't usually slice my onions and peppers as thin as this, as round Manchester, they are usually served quite chunky in a Jal Frezi.  This meant that I didn't need to precook the peppers and onions and they cooked perfectly within the 6 mins from start to finish.

The sauce was of a good consistency, somewhere between a bhuna and a standard BIR curry, It really clings to the meat and veg, and would be perfect for mopping up with a naan or paratha.

All in all, a wonderful hot, spicy Jal Frezi, with a sweet note to it, that slightly offsets the chilli burn.  The fresh chillies, as always, are the champion in the Jal Frezi, and in this dish, that is no exception.

Not sure how easy this would be without the help of a mod or Admin Malc but I think you need to get this particular part of the thread into the Jal Frezi section, or we risk having a first class recipe buried in the depths of cr0.

Lastly, I would like to thank Mick (Curry Barking Mad) who's "behind the scenes investigations" have once again, been to the benefit of cr0 members, and all for free.

Well done guy's.

Ray :)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 03:02 PM »
That looks lovely Ray, as do all the pictures in this thread. Definitely got to try some of these at some point.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I'm really glad you enjoyed it, the chilli jam really adds to the dish. I do mean to try it with a chilli pickle of some type in the future and I have found a few candidates that I am going to try out. But for now the Jam works great.

What i'm really pleased to see is that the recipe is versatile enough to be used without the balti base and spice mix. Since I now have loads of Taz base, i'll give it a go.  :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Hi

What is this chilli pickle that you are mentioning, sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.

Is it this sort of thing? - http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Natco-Chilli-Pickle-Hot.html

Cheers

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 03:48 PM »
The Chilli Pickle in question is the chef's own homemade pickle. It can be seen towards the end of the video. It looks to me as though it is not a green pickle possibly a a mixture or simply a red chilli pickle.

I've ear marked the following as possibles.

Chatak Chilli Pickle
Goan Chilli Pickle

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 01:34 AM »
The Chilli Pickle in question is the chef's own homemade pickle. It can be seen towards the end of the video. It looks to me as though it is not a green pickle possibly a a mixture or simply a red chilli pickle.

I've ear marked the following as possibles.

Chatak Chilli Pickle
Goan Chilli Pickle

Hi Axe/Ray
Looks like you've been having loads of fun

For the red chilli pickle (4:19 on the video) I would
try Mr.Naga, a Bangladeshi Chef's favourite here in
the NorthEast BIRs and No1, in my kitchen.

The smallest amount, adds another dimension to a curry.

regards Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes