Author Topic: Madras Sauce Video Recipe  (Read 72574 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Sauce Video Recipe
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Thinking about it I wouldn't go for more than a finger and thumb pinch of fennel seeds in a madras.

I remember a video (from CBM, Mick) I think, where the chef kept a pepper pot filled with ground up star anise.
He sprinkled on a little of this near the end of cooking a curry.

I'm sure little touches like this can really give your curries an extra dimension.

Paul

Replicating a true BIR madras is something that still eludes me.I can't put my finger on it but there's definitely something that gives it a delicious flavour.When I had my takeaway lesson the chef made it look so easy but I still can't crack it.On examining a recent takeaway madras I did indeed find a small whole star anise,not sure how it was done but it was really soft and chewy;not hard and brittle as it normally is.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00 PM »
So, it seems some TA's at least do get a hint of aniseed flavour in a madras, beit fennel seeds, star anise or, dare I say, Asian Bay?

Crushed Star Anise, mmm not thought of that one, worth a go I guess.

Ray :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21 PM »
So, it seems some TA's at least do get a hint of aniseed flavour in a madras, beit fennel seeds, star anise or, dare I say, Asian Bay?
Do you detect aniseed in Asian Bay, Ray ?  I use it in pulao rice, but I have to admit I've never detected any trace of anise-like flavour in it.  But it may be masked, I suppose, because I also use star anise and fennel, amongst other non-aniseedy spices (faux cinnamon, cloves, kala jeera, ..).

** Phil.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Great video ChewyTikka, very clear and I like the way you make it seem so easy to do. Great work! I'm inspired to try this recipe out. Thanks!  :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Hi Phil,

To be honest, I have never tried Asian Bay, it seems to be very difficult to get hold of around here, which is remarkable when you consider some of the very obscure items that I see at my local Asian supermarket, which by the way, is as big as an Aldi or Lidl.

I have seen reports on here that it does impart a slight aniseed flavour to a dish but I wouldn't know.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Hi Ray
Just came in starving, been in three BIR kitchens tonight and apart
from a bit Hariyali Tikka, I thought I'd save myself to try a Madras a la Fennel when I got home.
So in went half a tsp of Fennel seeds with the my usual Madras tarka, followed by
precooked Chicken thigh meat.

Result:    The Fennel totally kicked the shit out of the Madras. :o

But in saying that, I can see where your coming from with the flavour.

I would recommend you use the smallest amount, like half a pinch or something
and it could well be what your looking for.

I still scoffed the lot, a bit too much Fennel's not going to put me off. ;D

Cheers Chewy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 01:05 AM »
Hahaha, brilliant Chewy and many many thanks for trying it.

I remember a video (from CBM, Mick) I think, where the chef kept a pepper pot filled with ground up star anise.
He sprinkled on a little of this near the end of cooking a curry.

I'm wondering if Pauls account could be more like what I'm looking for, either way, just a tiny amount is what I believe should be required.

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32 PM »
You could try, if you haven't already, half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper corns,

Most Restaurant and Takeaway menus around here stress black pepper as one of the distinguishing flavours of Madras, along with tomato puree and lemon juice, so that idea sits well with me.

Thanks for the Vid mate, good stuff

Gary

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Thanks Mate, tried this tonight - very close to my benchmark for a Madras in terms of flavour I must say :)

The heat and the tang were spot on.

gary

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Thanks Mate, tried this tonight - very close to my benchmark for a Madras in terms of flavour I must say :)

The heat and the tang were spot on.

gary
Hi Gary
Thanks for the thumbs up ;D
Glad you had a result, did you add black pepper, to get close to your local restaurants?

Same sauce for my Vindaloo, but I double up on the chilli, a good pinch of black pepper and a slug of white vinegar.

Usually hits the spot. :'(
cheers chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes