Author Topic: Madras Sauce Video Recipe  (Read 72589 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Sauce Video Recipe
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Hey Chewy.
I've just watched your mint chicken video, and your right fella, it does look very tasty.  So you won't be surprised to know, I'll be giving this one ago in the week, and will let you know how I get one. 
It's gonna sound daft, but if like me, I find someone/product I like and can trust I'll always go back to it, and as I've always had good personal results from your recipe's Chewy, I'll always try the recipes you've rated, they may not turn out as BIR but as as you said practice makes perfect  ;)

Cheers.
tc
Hi tc
Thanks for the kind words and keep on currying mate
You might even end up doing better than BIR.
cheers Chewy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Just watched this again (for probably the 200th time)  I can't get enough of it, absolutely brilliant, clear videoing.

I'm going on a bit of a 'Madras' quest this coming week, as I'm off work.  My local TA's Madras is to die for.  It's tangy, spicy, smooth and not too oily but, there is a flavour that keeps coming through that has eluded me.  I made CWG bhajis last night but in the absence of aniseed, I used fennel seeds instead and BOOM, there it was.  The taste that I keep getting a hint of in my local TA's madras, was present in CWG's bhajis.

Chewy, have you ever heard of ground fennel seeds going into a madras?

It also has a hint of mulligatawny to it, which I believe could come from tamarind?  I have tried the Maggi tamarina sauce in the madras but it just doesn't do it for me.  I've also added Worcestershire sauce like in your recipe, again, I didn't quite get the tang that I'm after?

My TA owner is a smashing bloke but he will simply just not give anything away. There are 7 Indian TA's on our main road, so I can understanding him not giving too much away.  It's hard enough competing with the others without losing custom by giving away his secrets.

Any thoughts mate?

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Maybe a dozen or so of us should send you a tenner and you buy, freeze and then post to us a Madras in a leak-proof container; we then try to identify what is/are the secret ingredient/s.  My wife is pretty good at this, so I will let her try a little of mine !

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Maybe a dozen or so of us should send you a tenner and you buy, freeze and then post to us a Madras in a leak-proof container; we then try to identify what is/are the secret ingredient/s.  My wife is pretty good at this, so I will let her try a little of mine !

** Phil.

Bloody hell Phil, it won't cost you a tenner, this isn't the 'sarf' ya know ;)

1 portion of pilau rice, 1 portion of Madras sauce, 1 portion of Lamb tikka, 1 portion of Chicken tikka, 1 Tandoori chicken leg, 2 seekh kebabs, and a portion of salad.....Otherwise known as...The Seven stars Mixed grille...7.50GBP.....Cheap at twice the price..!

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02 AM »
Hi Ray
That's a bit spooky, I'm sitting here with a full Madras Hit.
Bloody lovely, chilli burn mouth,sweaty head, tear-ducts bulging and that familiar tangy after taste.

Never heard of fennel being used, but worth a try if you like that flavour.

Hardly anybody in my road is using Worcestershire anymore.
You could try, if you haven't already, half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper corns,
that always adds something and leaves a nice after taste to my Vindaloo.

"Madras Week" now there's a theme. ;D
cheers Chewy

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Hi Ray,

Some months ago I put some fennel seeds in the oil when I started cooking a madras type curry.
I usually cook boiled plain basmati rice and since I like the taste of fennel in pilau rice I figured I'd try some in my curry rather than the rice. It does kind of work but the flavour from those seeds after they've been fried with the g&g is stronger than I would have expected. I would say for a hint of fennel flavour don't use more that a quarter teaspoon in your curry. Let us know if you try it. I've also noticed a fennel seed or 2 in madras sauces from some TAs.

Cheers,

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Bloody hell Phil, it won't cost you a tenner, this isn't the 'sarf' ya know ;)

1 portion of pilau rice, 1 portion of Madras sauce, 1 portion of Lamb tikka, 1 portion of Chicken tikka, 1 Tandoori chicken leg, 2 seekh kebabs, and a portion of salad.....Otherwise known as...The Seven stars Mixed grille...7.50GBP.....Cheap at twice the price..!
Jeez, I'm putting our house on the market this afternoon and moving "oop north" -- at those prices, not even SWMBO would complain if I said I wanted a takeaway every day !

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Hi Paul,

I've also noticed a fennel seed or 2 in madras sauces from some TAs.

Now that is interesting. I can't say that I've actually seen the fennel seeds in the madras from my local TA but I have seen what I would describe as the 'husk' of some type of whole seed.  Not much, just one or two and to be honest, I didn't really associate it with fennel!

The Madras really is a strange flavour and probably the most varied across BIR land.  Tangy, sweet, sometimes coconutty, and now, sometimes aniseedy.  It should be the easiest curry to crack and yet, it's so easy to get it wrong.

Chewy, after my post to you last night, I quickly defrosted some base and knocked up a chicken Madras using my base and spice mix but used your method and gotta say, it was awesome, even at 23:15 night.  I didn't risk going with the fennel seed, just incase I cocked it up but I will definitely give it a try this week.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 06:52 PM »
i put fennel seeds in a lot of my curries.i enjoy the taste. put em in my pakoras too.
too many will overpower the dish though so its trial and error

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Thinking about it I wouldn't go for more than a finger and thumb pinch of fennel seeds in a madras.

I remember a video (from CBM, Mick) I think, where the chef kept a pepper pot filled with ground up star anise.
He sprinkled on a little of this near the end of cooking a curry.

I'm sure little touches like this can really give your curries an extra dimension.

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes