Author Topic: New Balti book  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
New Balti book
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Has anybody done any recipes from this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Balti-Secrets-Birmingham-Co/dp/0572022980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301599286&sr=8-1

Only made the base, tandoori masala, balti masala and balti garam masala so far, made the bog standard Chicken Balti and very impressed indeed, the smell, texture and taste is all there very nice recipes and laid out a little like "The Curry Secret", well worth a purchase if you are into your Balti's.
Will post pics when i make the Chicken Balti and the base again.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Balti book
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:24 PM »
How did the Balti compare to the ABC Balti?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Havent had an ABC for a while so it would be unfair to say this one is this and that one is that, so will have to have double curries the weekend (bonus), but as i can remember the texture is a little more "creamy" in the "Balti Secrets" and the smell is just right.
I heres a link

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5667.0

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58 PM »
The link appears to be the new base pic's.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Sorry axe was a little tipsy last night and was using my phone will get some pics on soon.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Hehe, not a problem. ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Well this appears to be the most recent thread referring to this book, so I'll post here. 

I ordered a copy of this from Worldwide Books on eBay a couple of weeks ago for Australian $11.50. free postage and then after it was posted I received an email telling me it had been returned to them damaged in the post.  I was suspicious but they honoured the refund. I re-ordered through Sunrise books for only $7.50, free postage and it arrived here in my mail box Air Mail within 10 days.  Amazing.  :D

It is a pretty under-whelming publication to look at, however, I immediately set about blending the Balti Garam Masala and the general Balti Masala.  I have Base Gravy already so I didn't bother with their recipe but I will give it a try.  Wow. 

I then tried it in a hybrid Misty Ricardo / 1000 Curry Recipes / BIR adaptation of a Chicken Madras and the result was delicious.  Coffee! Who would have thought to try that?  The Balti Masala and Garam Masala just set it all off.

I then made the as per book recipe of Balti Murgh Masala and followed the advice to experiment with other ingredients. The first dish in the book.  I added fresh red and green capsicum, some fresh gourmet truss tomatoes and some button mushrooms. Again the books masalas are great in this dish.

I then made the Celtnet.org Chicken Korma using a blend of the recommended Korma Masala and the Balti Masala. Delicious.

All 3 dishes were winners for me. I'll definately be going Balti spicing again in the future.  The Garam Masala is delicious as a garnish.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:21 PM by livo »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Amazing Amazon - A 1997 publication on sale for a 1 penny plus couple of quid post.

I suggest Madhur Jeffrey - The Curry Nation for an overview of uk regions curries in recent years.
You can learn a lot of different methods from the video clips.

Shame there still doesnt seem to be any solid info on how Australian Indian Restaurants cook their curries.
Someone will probably put it together one day.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Abe Books is a good place as well to try for second hand books. Under

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:56 PM »
And a good post because it just reminded me that I have that Balti book but never used it.

©2024 Curry Recipes