Author Topic: Looking for Iron Karahi / Balti cookware recommendations  (Read 7670 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Hi

Do any of you ladies and gentlemen use Karahi style dishes like these to cook with?

If so, did you buy one from an internet shop, and could you recommend a particular one / shop / size?

Thanks!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Iron Karahi / Balti cookware recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Hi Solarspace.  I have a 13" karahi just like the one in the picture.  I bought it specifically for deep frying.  Ideal for samosas, onion bahjis, pakoras etc.  Have never cooked curry in it though but would be good for serving up large quantities of a dish or rice for that matter.   And it looks impressive :o.  I bought mine from an asian shop in Green street West ham when i was spice shopping for round about the same cost.  Hope this this helps.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Hi Solarspace.  I have a 13" karahi just like the one in the picture.  I bought it specifically for deep frying.  Ideal for samosas, onion bahjis, pakoras etc.  Have never cooked curry in it though but would be good for serving up large quantities of a dish or rice for that matter.   And it looks impressive :o.  I bought mine from an asian shop in Green street West ham when i was spice shopping for round about the same cost.  Hope this this helps.

Hi curryhell

Sorry for the late reply, this post dissapeared off the radar and I thought no one had replied.

Thanks for the info :) - I don't suppose you would be able to 'suppose' that based on your 13" version whether the 10" version would be more suitable for cooking single portions in?

Thanks for any advice :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42 PM »
No worries Solarspace.  I've just had a look at my karahi and decided to take a tape measure to it only to discover it's only 11 inches :o.  I must have had a man moment when i thought it was 13"!!!  Anyway, it does exactly what i want it to do and i think you will have no problem cooking a curry for one in a 10"version.  In fact I'd say you could easily cook a large portion for two in it and still have loads of room. ;D.  I'm curious as to why you want to cook in a karahi rather than using the more traditional BIR / TA pan.  Personally i use the popular omlette pan which has that love "clang" you hear coming from the BIR kitchens :).

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Hi

Do any of you ladies and gentlemen use Karahi style dishes like these to cook with?

If so, did you buy one from an internet shop, and could you recommend a particular one / shop / size?

Thanks!
Hi Solarsplace
I thought this link may be of some interest http://gu.com/p/2gvye
Looks like good info on Balti cookware
Cheers

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48 AM »
...snip
 I'm curious as to why you want to cook in a karahi rather than using the more traditional BIR / TA pan.  Personally i use the popular omlette pan which has that love "clang" you hear coming from the BIR kitchens :).

Hi curryhell

Just being a curry-whore really, been getting into this book and wanted to go go the whole hog. Can't resist aquiring new paraphenalia that might lead me closer to curry nevana. Usually use trusty ali pans or a wok like you suggest.

Cheers

@ChewyTikka

Thanks for the vid link, seen that before and forgot about it, good to watch again :)

All the best.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Since the last couple of 'what pan' topics and my own experiences of using different sized pans, i've given a fair bit of thought to the whole topic.
I quite like the idea of cooking the curry in a Karahi, sadly I have an electric hob so this will be quite difficult until I get a burner. But I considered that using a Karahi would offer several benefits. You'd certainly use less oil to fry ingredients as it would collect in the bowl rather than spread around the pan. But it would also be more forgiving when cooking enough for two portions and perhaps create less of a mess on the cooker.Besides, it would look great on the table in front of guests. :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Solarspace, totally agree with you on having to have all the associated paraphernalia 8).  I have an array of serving dishes frequently seen in restaurants.  Presentation is very much part of a good meal and trying to replicate the BIR meal experience.

Axe, unfortunately i too have an electric hob which doesn't allow one to take full advantage of the usefulness of a karahi.  It certainly would cut down on the mess when cooking, although part of the challenge of using different size omlette pans is trying to keep everything in the pan.  They seem to manage this in the BIR kitchens though so i continue to use them and practice the art of keeping the curry in the pan rather than spreading it over the cooker ;D.  Haven't used my karahi for serving up curry yet, but agree that it would look rather impressive simply used as a large serving dish for a large volume of curry or rice for that matter. ::)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:55 PM »
They seem to manage this in the BIR kitchens though so i continue to use them and practice the art of keeping the curry in the pan rather than spreading it over the cooker ;D

Hehe, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Don't forget they have open ranges lined with old newspaper. ;)

Bah!, it's all part of the fun, just have to learn to wipe down every few minutes!

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Can I ask, why is it difficult to use a Karahi on an electric hob?

Only asking because I've always put my round bottomed wok straight on the electric ring, without using the wire stand thing, with no problems.
Mind it is a big old wok, so I guess that helps. :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes