Author Topic: Todays Saturday kitchen - Indian Special  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Todays Saturday kitchen - Indian Special
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:16 AM »
This mornings Saturday kitchen is an Indian cusine special as far as I know has anyone got the means to capture it on a dvd recorder by any chance, I don't mind helping distriubte it?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Saturday kitchen - Indian Special
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Damn, I just read this too late  :), Ive recorded half of it. I have sky+ and a dvd recorder so can happily convert these things to avi files

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 11:25 PM »
When you get round to watching it, The end part is kinda intersting as they scoop some oil from the Rogan Josh curry and say something like "we can then use this oil to add flavour to another curry dish, we all do it"
now if that doesn't answer the question of reusing oil then i don't know what will.
Heres the recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/adhrakigoshtlambmasa_77225.shtml at the end of the recipe it says
"7. Skim off any excess oil from the surface." and in the show thats when they make this statement.

I also joined the chatroom at the end of the program on bbc website and asked Reza about reusing oil, he said "yes i use it aswell, but i wouldn't leave it too long before adding to a curry"
I couldn't realy get anything else out of him cos the chatroom was kinda noisey.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 07:42 AM »
Is that the guy who owns "Star of India" in London?
Has anyone ever been there and tasted their curries?

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 10:18 AM »
No, he's called Andy Varma and he runs a resteraunt called Vramas on the kings road chelsea.

He also does curry cooking lessons on Saturday afternoons, I went for one once.

It was very basic he showed us around the kitched and we watched the chefs cook several dishes, I think they were Salmon Tikka, veg pullo rice and a some other curry.

The food is more contemporary indian, but very nice, we had hot naan from the tandoor and also a bread that was made paper thin like a gaint tissue.

We could then eat as much of these dishes as we wanted, he kept the food comming till we were all stuffed.

Check it out, he still runs the courses, I didn't learn much although I still have the recipe cards somewhere.

http://www.londoneats.com/news/default.asp?PressID=6

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Mark did you manage to get any of this worth keeping, I missed most of it as I had to go out?

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Id be very interested in seeing this program as we can?t get it in Sweden.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 10:18 PM »
I got the second half, watched a bit of it but it was just an outtake from a Madhur Jaffrey program I had just watched  :)

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 12:40 PM »
When you get round to watching it, The end part is kinda intersting as they scoop some oil from the Rogan Josh curry and say something like "we can then use this oil to add flavour to another curry dish, we all do it"
now if that doesn't answer the question of reusing oil then i don't know what will.

This answers nothing as far as I'm concerned. We've known for ages that some places re-ise oil, and that some places don't.

The question is: is it an essential part of acheiving the taste at home? The answer can only be no, given that mant many resturants do NOT re-use oil, and they certainly manage to achieve the taste.

There are people here who believe it is important, but I know from my own experience that it isn't.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 07:55 AM »
This answers nothing as far as I'm concerned. We've known for ages that some places re-ise oil, and that some places don't.
Has anyone ever seen a chef use fresh oil in a curry?
In "the balti kitchen" videos, they show someone using fresh oil, but they don't taste right

©2024 Curry Recipes