Author Topic: Best pilau rice recipe?  (Read 14956 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Best pilau rice recipe?
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Total beginner question but can someone point me to the "best" (most reliable & easiest) pilau rice recipe around these parts?   I can see several when I search the forum, just wondering which should be my starting point?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Best pilau rice recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Hi Chris

I now always use the RobinB one here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2118.0

Works every time for me, just follow it accurately re the timings.

Martin

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Thanks Martin. Does the carrot add much to thus recipe do y ou think, or can it be left out without detracting too much from the end result?

I think i read Phil saying that once cooked pilau can be frozen but just wondering if defrosting it makes it soggy?  Might have to try that myself.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I think i read Phil saying that once cooked pilau can be frozen but just wondering if defrosting it makes it soggy?
No, that was someone else (or the other Phil !) -- in my experience, freezing pilau rice can result in the grains fracturing, so when you re-heat the rice is less attractive and the texture is not as good, but others disagreed.

** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Hi Chris

I haven't tried it with the grated carrot, I just used the original recipe (first post).

Oh and I didn't have Fennel seeds, so I added about a quarter tsp of cumin seeds, and I now add a couple of those Indian Bay leaves too. ;)

I have frozen some, but haven't tried it yet, so can't really help there.
Can't see it being soggy though, as after it has been in the oven for a while it becomes quite dryish and nicely separated (as it is in the restaurants here).

Martin

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I wouldnt say this is the best pilau recipe but it can be the start of trying to make one
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4203.0
Give it a go.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Oh and I didn't have Fennel seeds, so I added about a quarter tsp of cumin seeds, and I now add a couple of those Indian Bay leaves too. ;)

You mentioned the word 'accurately' in reply #1 and now you pop back to say 'oh....and here's some things I should have remembered to tell you about in the first place but didn't."

It must be the no.1 weakness of recipes on this forum - lack of attention to detail and accuracy. Too many recipes and recommendations can't be relied upon.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:17 PM »
'Works every time for me, just follow it accurately re the timings.'

Isn't that clear enough for you George, you pedant. ::)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Hi Natterjak.  Agree with Martinvic.  The recipe contains the majority of the essential spices necessary to make a good pilau and is an ideal place to start 8).  Twenty odd years ago, i didn't have the benefit of this excellent forum  ???so i had to make do with dissecting my local BIR's pilau to identify the spice content and then balance out the quantities until i got it pretty much spot on ;).   I would add though, during my dissection days not only did i identify fennel, but also white and black cummin along with the odd black cardamon which gives it a very robust (if that's the right word) fragrance ;D.  As for freezing, works fine.  I often do it but only reheat and then serve.  It's no good if you then want to turn it into mushroom rice or something else.  As Phil said the freezing does make the grains brittle.  Hope this helps.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Hi Chris

I haven't tried it with the grated carrot, I just used the original recipe (first post).

Go steady with those leaves - you wouldn't want to run out....!  ;D

I have frozen some, but haven't tried it yet, so can't really help there.
Can't see it being soggy though, as after it has been in the oven for a while it becomes quite dryish and nicely separated (as it is in the restaurants here).

I think I'll have to try freezing too.  The convenience factor of being able to whip some pilau out of the freezer and microwave it up has to be worth a little compromise in the texture.

©2024 Curry Recipes