Author Topic: recycling in the kitchen  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
recycling in the kitchen
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:09 PM »
I was invited to a "bring-a-plate" event this weekend and made up a 3kg batch of tandoori style (blade's recipe) chicken drumsticks.  They were ok - could of done with a bit more charring and a bit longer marinading.

However while roasting them a shed load of lovely tandoori flavoured juices were released and I decided to save it to see if they would work as a sort of re-claimed oil.

I made a slight variation on the zeera madras using 2 tbsps instead of oil tonight and it was excellent with a lovely depth of flavour.  Made enough for 2 meals but ended up scoffing the lot, then cleaning out the pan :)

So if you are roasting any tandoori chicken - keep the curry dripping/juices as they work a treat!

Apologies if this is teaching any grandmothers to suck eggs! :D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: recycling in the kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Hi Tom.  That plate of chicken looks absolutely superb, bet you were popular at the party!  Is it this tikka recipe of blades that you were referring to?  Or does he have another one specifically for tandoori chicken?  Also, just wondering how long  / what temp you roasted your chicken for to cook it?  Would you go for a higher gas mark and shorter cook time next time?

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Thanks Natterjack. It was Blades tikka recipe I used - I tend to say tikka for boneless chunks and tandoori for stuff on the bone. I think some BIRs do likewise but this may be just my assumption.

I have a pretty naff gas oven, which even on highest heat doesn't really perform. The more items in the oven the longer it takes to cook. I saved 3 drumsticks for myself, gave them another night in the marinade and finished them off under the grill and they were much better.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Thanks Tom.  Until now I've only used Blade's marinade for tikka chunks on kebabs, but with BBQ weather being here I think it's a great idea to get some drumsticks going.  Perhaps a good way to introduce some BIR flavour into a family BBQ alongside the standard fare (burgers, hot dogs, etc..)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Curry looks amazing!  ;D

I like the idea of recycling, and will give this a go next time we have a cook-in!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39 AM »
[So] if you are roasting any tandoori chicken - keep the curry dripping/juices as they work a treat!
I cooked tandoori chicken (on a rotisserie) while in Germany, and wondered what to do with the left-over marinade.  In the end, I added finely chopped onion to it, reduced it considerably, and offered it as an optional sauce -- our hosts loved it, much to my surprise.

** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Hi tomdip i use Blades recipe as well, i turn my oven up full and place a roasting tin with the wire rack thing in it and put in water then with a kebab tray like this one http://www.wholesale-ceramics.co.uk/acatalog/Dancook-Barbecue-Kebab-Set-Skewers-&-Rack-130-104.jpg
i skewer the chicken as with a normal kebab, then use the water and meat juice to make dips as said before and spoon some over plain basmati rice, not alot of washing up either.
The kebad rack of mine folds in half so easy to take anywhere, mainly camping, works a wonder. Got it from the

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:07 AM »
When marinating whole drumsticks, do you prick the skin prior to marinating or just pop the drumsticks in the marinade?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:42 AM »
NJ, I would remove the skin altogther, prior to marinading. ;)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Hi natter dont forget you can use chicken thighs with bones and skin removed, marinated and then skewered, tastes divine.
I always remove skin and just put a couple of slits on each side of the drumstick and massage the marinade into the meat.

©2024 Curry Recipes