Author Topic: Heating a skillet  (Read 3584 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Heating a skillet
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:45 AM »
For those (like myself) who have no gas or other source of open flame, and who also have a ceramic hob, heating a skillet to the temperature needed to produce a good sizzling dish can be something of a challenge.  Just before leaving for Germany last week we cooked chicken tikka on the barbecue, and I tried heating the skillet on the induction hob.  This was a complete success !  The skillet is ideal for induction heating, and it took barely a minute to reach the desired temperature.

** Phil.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Heating a skillet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I genuinely couldn't handle cooking on anything other than a gas hob. My mum has halogen rings that I had to cook on while we were there - it drove be crazy!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I genuinely couldn't handle cooking on anything other than a gas hob. My mum has halogen rings that I had to cook on while we were there - it drove be crazy!
I love my ceramic hob : so easy to keep clean, no nooks and crannies for the curry sauce to hide in !  --ditto-- the induction hob.  For messy cooks such as myself, these modern devices are a real boon.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:05 PM »
I have to say Phil, i've never struggled to heat my skillet on our ceramic hob. If anything, I run it at half to three quarters power, as it gets too hot! Funnily enough, I used it last night to cook a rib of beef.

Chris, gas v.s. electric, I think you get used to what you got. I've had both over the years and enjoyed both. Electric is certainly safer and cleaner, but gas is less restrictive, especially when it comes to woks!

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I'm convinced a bit of flambee is essential for top notch curries. That's hard to achieve without gas.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52 PM »
I'm convinced a bit of flambee is essential for top notch curries. That's hard to achieve without gas.

Ah but the most dedicated will have a lighter or propane burner to hand ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I have to say Phil, i've never struggled to heat my skillet on our ceramic hob. If anything, I run it at half to three quarters power, as it gets too hot! Funnily enough, I used it last night to cook a rib of beef.
Ah, my reason for not putting it on the ceramic hob is not that it doesn't heat properly : it is solely that I am concerned that it might scratch the hob.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes