Author Topic: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy  (Read 44693 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Wormix,

I've made the KD base many times and you can't really go wrong (one of the things I really like about it).

I am sure you've got it spot on. Very thin sounds right. Don't worry in any case as the final cooking stage should be to fry it when you can adjust the frying time to get the final consistency right. It also tastes very bland and you would not expect it to produce a good curry from it.

The things I do differently are 2 tins toms (as Ast) & no turmeric (I don't like taste).

For final cooking stage suggest you have a read of  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2250.0.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:57 AM by JerryM »

Offline stevindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 11:02 AM »
hi pete, this is my first post

i got the curry secret book from amazon through the door yesterday and am dying to try it out,i was going to post a question about how good the sauce realy is and the replies here seem to sugest that it is.

i do like a vindaloo, but another one of my faves is a pathia which dosent seem to be in the book, could i use the sauce for other recipies on this site.

what are your favourite recipies from the book

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 01:45 PM »
could i use the sauce for other recipies on this site.

hi stevindaloo.

I strongly suggest that that's just what you should do. In my opinion the KD sauce is a very reasonable one to start with but the recipes in the book leave a lot to be desired. So use the base for recipes which yopu can find on this site, you'll almost certainly get better results.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 02:01 PM »
could i use the sauce for other recipies on this site.

hi stevindaloo.

I strongly suggest that that's just what you should do. In my opinion the KD sauce is a very reasonable one to start with but the recipes in the book leave a lot to be desired. So use the base for recipes which yopu can find on this site, you'll almost certainly get better results.

Hi Stevindaloo

Welcome to the forum.

I would agree with Secret Santa. The curry gravy recipe is okay as a starting point and as an introduction to using the gravy method, but there are certainly better ones (and possibly easier), available on this forum. Having said that, I know some (friends at work/pub/etc) have been impressed with the results, but I think this was more due to it's simplicity (gravy method), rather than the final achieved taste.

As JerryM says, very thin is good. The liquid will evaporate as you cook the final curry.

Good luck! (whichever recipe)

Regards

SnS ;D

ps Pathia is my favourite and I'm working on achieving good results using the Saffron base gravy.

Offline stevindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 08:46 PM »
i just made my first vindaloo ;D
wow
the curry sauce was very easy to make
i used the recipie for vindaloo from the book, the 2 post above me put me off a bit from using recipies from kris dhillons book but i have to say that i was extremely impressed.
i loved the curry i made, its the first one i have made using a curry sauce. what im thinking now is if secret santa dosent rate the recipies in the book much what can i expect from the recipies found here.
if they are better in comparison im in for a treat, cant wait :D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Hi again Stevindaloo

I'm really glad you liked the results but I have to say I'm well surprised. I think you'll find that the majority of those who have tried the KD recipes (without changing them) are less than satisfied. I'd be even more surprised if when you do try some of the techniques and recipes on here they don't make a far better curry. Let us know if you try any other recipes, KD or otherwise.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I've been using the KD base for ages, and I find it very good.  I can also say that it looks pretty much identical to curry base I've seen a curry-house kitchen (The Zari, in Crawley w.Sussex, about 10 years back when it was the 'Gatwick Tandoori').

In my opinion, in common with many others here, the recipies for individual dishes are 'way off'.  I've seen a madras being prepared by a proper chef (same place), and it certainly did not incorporate cumin and garam massala.  The chef used chillie powder and a spice mix that looked a lot like many of the mixtures recommneded on this site (those that contain a small amount of 'curry powder' with other spices added).  This powder was slighty orangey, not at all like shop bought curry powder (slighty yellowish brown).

My last few batches of madras/vind type curry have been made from KD base, using chillie powder (2tbs), a ready made curry powder from an Asian Grocers called 'Kashmiri Basaar', and a small amount of ground dried fenugreek (methi) leaf.  I use one level tbs (15ml) of basaar to 450 mls of base.

The Basaar, by the way, was the suggestion of someone from this site, don't want to appear ungrateful, but I can't remember who, sorry!

I also add a 'shake' (less than 1/4 lev tps) of Worchestshire Sauce (something else the professional chef did), and 1/2 tps cider vinegar. 

Result is very good!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 02:37 PM »
I also add a 'shake' (less than 1/4 lev tps) of Worchestshire Sauce (something else the professional chef did)

That has come up a few times now there must be something to it, I can't seem to find the thread it was mentioned before.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 01:56 AM »

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Forgot to mention, also add 2 tbs tomarto soup and a leve tps brown suger to my Mad/vind type stuff!

©2024 Curry Recipes