Author Topic: Rogan Josh by Razor  (Read 108404 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rogan Josh by Razor
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hi Ram,

Many thanks for giving this one a try mate, and sooooo glad that that you enjoyed it.

Just a question, how much red food colouring did you use :o :o :o ;D

I am actually trying to phase it out and replace with something else such as paprika or kashmiri chilli powder but I don't want to alter the taste, so still a little work needed there on my part.

Many thanks again mate,

Ray :)

Hi Razor,

Try this Beetroot Powder as a natural red colouring agent for your curries :)

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/beetroot-powder-50g-hampshire.html?gclid=CJvY6seinKoCFQEa4Qod9QeHxw

Regards,

Bob

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Hi Ram,

Many thanks for giving this one a try mate, and sooooo glad that that you enjoyed it.

Just a question, how much red food colouring did you use :o :o :o ;D

I am actually trying to phase it out and replace with something else such as paprika or kashmiri chilli powder but I don't want to alter the taste, so still a little work needed there on my part.

Many thanks again mate,

Hi Razor,

Try this Beetroot Powder as a natural red colouring agent for your curries :)

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/beetroot-powder-50g-hampshire.html?gclid=CJvY6seinKoCFQEa4Qod9QeHxw

Regards,

Bob

Razor i can second Bob's recommendation - it turn everything red depending how much you use and it aint that sweet

best, Rich

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Hi Rich and Bob,

Thanks for the tip on the beetroot powder.  I have seen it before but never used it. My only concern would be if it added a "beetrooty" flavour?

I don't have a problem with using the red food colouring as such but I'm not sure that the BIR's would and there is my dilemma.  What is making the Rogan Josh's from around these parts red?

Looking at the potential influences, tomato's and chilli powder, will redden the dish to an extent but nothing like what I'm looking for.

So my next step will be to use a good quality Kashmiri Mirch.  Like Ramirez says, it's not important to the dish flavour wise but I would like to get it right, just to satisfy my own goal.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Hi Razor,

I use Kashmiri Mirch quite a lot and although it will "redden" your dish I don't think it will give the depth of red you are looking for i'm afraid.

I do use beetroot powder sometimes especially when I cook for my sister as she has all sorts of gluten and allogenic problems, it doesn't give it a beetrooty flavour and in some ways does sweeten the dish a little.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Thanks Bob, I'll keep a lookout for it mate :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 08:28 PM »
That's a fine looking curry Ramirez :P.  I must give Ray's recipe a go.  It's getting glowing reports.  Never had RJ myself either so it'll be a new experience :D

Well I've just finished cooking it.  So that i get the benefit of the flavours I'm off out for a couple of beers and it's Rogan Josh for supper with special fried rice when i return.  Of course I've had a taste and I've got to say it's a damn fine tasting curry :P.  Am almost tempted to try one from my local BIR just to compare ;D.  Nice balance of flavours with no one thing prominent, the peppers, onions and tomatoes working well together.  The spicing is medium with the corriander / chili paste is in background (what a find that is - ideal as something to spread on my poppadums).  And made with CT's base which is very pleasant to eat on its own ::).  Will post pics of my efforts later.  Nice one Ray.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Nice one curryhell - it's one damn fine curry. Something I mentioned previously is tasting some the next day. I recommend you do that, as you really appreciate the quality of the dish when the senses have not been dulled by the cooking process.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Read your post and i intend leaving a mouthful for the morning mate - by way of a second opinion ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Hi CH,

Can't wait for your verdict.  As Ram says, this curry probably would benefit from a good rest, not so much on the part of the curry but more so for your own taste perception.  Once the aromatics get up the nostrils, it's always a good idea to let yourself, regain your senses.

Anyway, many many thanks for giving it a try, much appreciated.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 01:17 AM »
What can i say?  Yum, yum :P.  Will definitely cook it again.  Maybe up the heat content to suit myself but as per recipe, very nice Ray.  Here's the pics ;D.

©2024 Curry Recipes