Author Topic: Rogan Josh by Razor  (Read 107622 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Rogan Josh by Razor
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Before we proceed with the recipe, I would just like to say from the outset, that this Rogan Josh is not strictly a typical BIR RJ in the sense that it is NOT a two stage style RJ.  I would describe it as a 'modern BIR' style RJ but don't let that put you off, it really is packed with flavour and has plenty of depth, in my humble opinion of course ::)

Here goes.

Chicken Tikka Rogan Josh by Razor

Ingredients

6-8 pieces of cooked chicken tikka, lamb tikka or any preferred meat of your choice.
5 tbs of veg oil (quite a lot I know, but it's a special occasion, go for it)
2 tsp garlic/ginger paste 60:40 ratio
1 tsp of Chewys chilli/coriander paste (handful of green chillies and probably 3 inch of stalks
off the bottom of a bunch or a good handful of chopped coriander, 2 or 3 tbs of veg oil and a pinch of salt,
blitz to form a paste)

0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp dried methi leaves
2 tsp mix powder http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4706.0
0.5 tsp chilli powder
0.25 red food colouring (optional but makes it look the part IMO)
3 green cardamoms, cracked
3 cloves
40mm cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf, not Asian bay!
2 small onions, halved and sliced
1 cheek of red pepper, sliced
1 cheek of green pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
500 ml of chewys 3 hour base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5635.0
1 tsp garam masala
3 tbs of fresh chopped coriander

Method

Slice the onions, peppers and tomatoes, equal thickness

Next, heat the oil for about a minute then add the onions and peppers and fry until the peppers soften, stirring frequently.

Next, add the g/g paste, chilli and coriander paste and the whole spices, and fry hard for about a minute.

Now, take the pan off the heat and add the mixed powder, salt, methi, chilli powder and food colouring (if using) and give it a really good mix, ensuring everything is well coated

Place the pan back on the heat and add the tomatoes, and fry hard until the tomatoes start to soften. Add a couple of chefspoons of base sauce to loosen up the pan if needed.

Now, add the chicken tikka or whatever you choose to use instead, 1 chefspoon of base and half the fresh coriander, and stir to make sure everything is well mixed

Now, add the rest of the base and reduce until the sauce really thickens up, something of a Bhuna consistency

Finally, turn off the heat and add the garam masala, and give it a really good mix

The finished article

Cheap at twice the price ;D

Now, before I portioned this up, I removed the cardamoms, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. You can also remove the cloves but good luck with that ;) ;D

Some of you may prefer to serve this with all the whole spices in but beware of the flavour explosions when you bite into one of the cardamoms :o

Not a traditional old school Rogan Josh but it is very very close to my favourite BIR's version in both taste and appearance.

Hope your guy's find the time to give this one a whirl, and welcome your feedback.

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rogan Josh by Razor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:45 PM »
looks good Ray and the can of Carling just adds to the authenticity!

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Hi yes, can I have 1 portion please plus 1 Lamb tikka Ceylon, 1 sag aloo, 1 bhindi bhaji, 1 onion bhaji, 1 mushroom pilau rice, 2 garlic naan bread and 8 cans of carling please - is it free delivery.

Very nice Ray. I would agree you could call it a 'modern' version - a sort of balti rogan josh I would say. Similar ingredients to mine really just different variables. I will definitely give it a whirl but will probably use black cardamoms rather then green for the more pronounced earthiness.

bon rogan

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Hi yes, can I have 1 portion please plus 1 Lamb tikka Ceylon, 1 sag aloo, 1 bhindi bhaji, 1 onion bhaji, 1 mushroom pilau rice, 2 garlic naan bread and 8 cans of carling please - is it free delivery.

Yes, within a 3 miles radius ;)

Very nice Ray. I would agree you could call it a 'modern' version - a sort of balti rogan

Yes, very good description.  It's packed with flavour but the tomatoes don't over power the dish.  Hope you can give it a go, then we can compare notes.

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Ray, looks quality.

I always cook a Madras but have been thinking lately about trying a few new dishes. I am going to give this a bash at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Hi Mads,

I'm the same, usually cook myself a Jal Frezi but a few weeks back, I threw a curry night at my place and at least 4 guests said that Rogan Josh was there favourite.  I looked at the recipes on here and in my books, and none of the Rogan Josh's was really suitable to pre-prepare before hand as they all required a '2 stage' process.

With that in mind, I ordered about 4 Rogans from different BIR's?TA's in my area to try to identify the flavours, with a single cook method in mind.

I've got to say, this is very very close indeed.  Now, I am aware that regional variances will play it's part, so what is a Rogan Josh to me, may be something completely different to others but, it is a very tasty curry whatever it is.

Looking forward to your feedback Mads,

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Hi Ray
Looks great mate, thanks for sharing a realistic recipe for Rhogan Josh.
Definitely a deluxe version, better than your local TA I'll bet.

I know it's a faff on, but I would still add a Tarka of dream topping
to finish this dish off. (just habit, I guess)
cheers Chewy

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Blimey - 3 pounds for a Rogan Josh - bargain :) - I'll buy 2 please.

Looks fantastic, on the list to make at the weekend.

Thanks for sharing your recipe and great step by step instructions & pictures.

Cheers

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Hi Chewy,

Hi Ray
Looks great mate, thanks for sharing a realistic recipe for Rhogan Josh.
Definitely a deluxe version, better than your local TA I'll bet.

Well, in my opinion, I would say that it equals if not betters the 4 off that I ordered but I would say that I guess ::) 8)

Yeah, I think an authentic BIR Rogan Josh does need to be finished off with a Tarka of some sort but as a 1 stage cook, this comes very close to the taste that I know from these parts plus, this version has the benefits of being able to pre-prepare it for those occasions where time is against you.

Hi SP,

I don't think I'll ever make a good business man, way too cheap for my own good ;D

Hope you can find the time to give it a go mate.  Let us know how you get on, good or bad.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Looks quality, mate ;D I will be giving this a go soon.

Funny that you tried four other takeaways first mate ;D you really are on a BIR mission ;D

I know that you are reluctant to post recipes, until you have them right in your own mind Ray, so on that basis and in particular your Jalfrezi recipe I kind of know its going to be a gud un ;D

Alan ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes