Author Topic: Abdulmohed's Base Sauce  (Read 9393 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Abdulmohed's Base Sauce
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Having made the same dish tonight, "Garlic Chili Chicken" that I made on Saturday but with Abdul's base tonight, I can honestly say that it was lovely :) The lack of so much oil actually bought out a new depth of flavour for me. 2d2612ea5aced81.JPG[/img][/URL]

If you made the base as written, does that mean you added zero garlic or ginger to the base? I guess garlic was introduced for the final stage of cooking as you were making 'garlic chili chicken'. Perhaps it's better to leave garlic out of the base.

Hi George,

I followed the recipe for the base to the letter and yes only garlic and ginger was added to the final dish :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:15 PM »
very nice 976bar that looks divine. Can you point me to you recipe for the garlic chilli recipe, the wife saw your pictures and demanded I make it  ;)

Hi Adamski,

Well first I start with Razor's Chicken Tikka marinade which I have adapted slightly to suit my palate.

Ingredients
600g Chicken - 4 or 5 breasts (1lb leg of lamb cut into 2? chunks)
1 heaped tablespoon Pataks tikka curry paste. (Not tikka masala paste).  (2 tbs for lamb)
1 heaped tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/2 tsp chilli powder (1 tsp for lamb)
1 desert spoon spice mixture (10ml)
1/8 tsp Orange food colouring (Red food colouring for lamb)
1 heaped tsp methi (Fenugreek leaves)
1 level tsp salt
2 tablespoon veg oil
5 tablespoon water
150ml Greek Yogurt (If using Lamb)
Bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
Spice mixture ? this makes enough for the Chicken Tikka and enough to store in a small herb jar for future use. Just mix it all together.
8 parts ground coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts ground cumin
4 parts curry powder
4 parts paprika (optional)

I use ? teaspoons for the amounts above and that usually makes approximately 2 tablespoons of spice mix which is normally enough for 2 separate curry dishes.

However if you?re curry dish warrants more then just increase the quantities in the proportions above.
Method
1. Chop the chicken breasts into 2 or 3 pieces each
2. Mix in 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the chopped chicken, leave for 15 mins
3. Meanwhile mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
4. Add the runny spice mixture to the chicken, cover and leave in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. I leave it for 48 hours.
5. Put 3 of 4 pieces of Chicken onto skewers
6. Heat oven grill to highest temp and leave on full blast for 5mins to ensure it is HOT
7. Place skewers on a dish where both ends of the skewer are supported at both sides of the dish making sure the dish is deep avoid the chicken touching the bottom (i.e. ensure the chicken is suspended)
8. Place dish under grill (I try to get the chicken pieces about 2 inches from the grill element
9. Cook for 2-3 minutes turn once and give them another 2-3 mins
10. Or just fry in a dry pan until done. Turn frequently.
11. Or, stick on BBQ for smokey taste. (This is my preferred method).

Then for the Garlic Chili Chicken I use this.

2 Portions of chicken tikka
350 ml base gravy
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp tomato paste mixed with 3 tblsp water
1 tsp hot chilli powder  or kashmiri chilli powder (more if you like it really hot)
1 tsp curry masala (Spice mix)
1 tsp curry powder (I use Rajah Hot Madras Curry Powder)
1 dried habanera chili soaked for 15 minutes in hot water and then diced really fine OR 8 whole green chillies sliced lengthways (use less if you don?t want it so hot)
2 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp ginger puree
5 or 6 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 tsp fenugreek leaves rubbed (methi)
0.5 tsp salt
Pinch of orange food colouring
Bunch of chopped fresh coriander

Method
Add oil to pan on a medium heat and add garlic and habanera chilli, and gently fry until they soften but don?t brown the garlic or it will impart a bitter taste.
Then add the ginger and garlic puree and continue cooking for another minute or two.
Then add the curry masala, curry powder, chilli powder, salt and methi leaves and fry for 30 seconds. Then add tomato puree, and 1 ladle of base gravy, heat on a high heat until water has evaporated, then add the remainder of the base and cook through to a nice thickish consistency.
Turn down the heat to a simmer and add the chicken tikka. Simmer until piping hot, add coriander to garnish.

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Thinking of trying this base next, don't have the book yet the postage will probaby cost more to get here than the book, one thing that has been mentioned is the extra heat from the chilli's, does Abdul state what type he uses ? when I cook Dip's base I use the green finger size which work out fine, the pictures posted on this topic seem to show a preference for the small birds eye green or red which I would think is why you can feel the heat, does the book not state what type of chilli you should use , if not can Abdul please clarify this point in his recipe......thanks

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Thinking of trying this base next, don't have the book yet the postage will probaby cost more to get here than the book, one thing that has been mentioned is the extra heat from the chilli's, does Abdul state what type he uses ? when I cook Dip's base I use the green finger size which work out fine, the pictures posted on this topic seem to show a preference for the small birds eye green or red which I would think is why you can feel the heat, does the book not state what type of chilli you should use , if not can Abdul please clarify this point in his recipe......thanks

The recipe does call for 6 green chilies, so I would imagine that green finger chili's are what he is referring to. This is what I used, not birds eye :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Having made the same dish tonight, "Garlic Chili Chicken" that I made on Saturday but with Abdul's base tonight, I can honestly say that it was lovely :)

That looks the absolute dogs b******s 976bar ;D.  I will be trying abduls base once i've tried CT's and garlic chilli chicken is definitely on the menu :P

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Thinking of trying this base next, don't have the book yet the postage will probaby cost more to get here than the book,

I'm sure Abdul would be happy to provide it in pdf format for you to avoid extortionate postage costs ;D.  One can but ask the man ::)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Ive just made a batch of Abdulmohed's Base Sauce - thicker sauce then my usual and not as oily - havent cooked anything yet that will be tomorrow - how is everyone else getting on with this base?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Ive just made a batch of Abdulmohed's Base Sauce - thicker sauce then my usual and not as oily - havent cooked anything yet that will be tomorrow - how is everyone else getting on with this base?

Read the thread! :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Read the thread 976bar
2 people cooked with the base and a couple made the base!!
How is everyone else getting on with the base???
There must be more who have tried this by now if not there aint so much cooking going on!

©2024 Curry Recipes