Author Topic: Spice Grinder  (Read 13749 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spice Grinder
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I'm getting old!

The mortar and pestle are becoming very laborious.

After trying a number off mini-processors, processor attachments and so one without much success I am thinking of splashing out nearly ?150 on the Waring Spice Grinder.

Has anyone used one?

Can it handle Cassia or Cinnamon?

Does anyone have a preference for another grinder that mills everything down to a fine powder?

All help is appreciated.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spice Grinder
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I'm getting old!

The mortar and pestle are becoming very laborious.

After trying a number off mini-processors, processor attachments and so one without much success I am thinking of splashing out nearly ?150 on the Waring Spice Grinder.

Has anyone used one?

Can it handle Cassia or Cinnamon?

Does anyone have a preference for another grinder that mills everything down to a fine powder?

All help is appreciated.

Yes I have one and it cost me ?100.00 and there was a professional one for ?200.00 which you don't need. It's brilliant!!! Shop around, I got mine on e-bay.

But hope you know it's only for dried spices and not for blending pastes etc... but I would recommend this product, I've had it for over a year now and it comes with 2 spare stainless steel cups and lids. I wouldn't go without it....

Good investment!! :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Oh!!! And yes it will handle cinnamon and cassia :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Hi Tempest i use this, with cinnamon or cassia i just break up into medium pieces.
http://www.bargainpod.co.uk/wahl-zx595-james-martin-coffee-grinder-157-p.asp

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Hi Tempest i use this, with cinnamon or cassia i just break up into medium pieces.

Same here - does the job nicely. Definitely recommended.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54 PM »

Same here - does the job nicely. Definitely recommended.

Ramirez, does this produce as finely ground spices as those we can buy.  I know the quality, freshness and taste will be better, but what about the texture??  I have ground spice in a coffee grinder but the results are never finely ground powder :'(

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for all the prompt comments.

I will definitely try out the James Martin grinder to start off with and see if it gets the fine grinds that I am looking for. It is worth trying before splashing out on the more expensive one if it does a reasonable job.

Another question prompted by the response above from 976bar; does anyone recommend a wet grinder for making spice pastes? One that will handle the onions, garlic and ginger as well as the spices?

Thanks everyone.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Ramirez, does this produce as finely ground spices as those we can buy.  I know the quality, freshness and taste will be better, but what about the texture??  I have ground spice in a coffee grinder but the results are never finely ground powder :'(

I would say so, yes. I very rarely use mine to be honest, as I buy pre-ground (relatively small amounts, so I maintain a reasonably high turnover to keep things fresh). The only exception I can remember was black cardamoms - after grinding down there was a little bit of husk, but that probably would have ground down had I persisted (I just removed it). All in all, it is very effective - much quicker than a mortar and pestle.

If you do a lot of grinding of whole spices, it's a no brainer at that price!  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Thanks Ramirez.   One to bear in mind.  Like you i buy small ready ground spice and turn it over quickly.  Not sure if grinding all spices fresh will make so much of a difference that it's worth the effort.  Sure as hell don't see them doing that down the local BIR ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 03:21 PM »
I agree with that : I recently ground all my remaining methi seeds when my local Asian supermarket not only had no ground methi but denied that it even existed ("we use methi leaves", they said, "just rub them in your hands").  The results were fine as far as the curry went, but I would certainly agree that the fineness left something to be desired.  This was with a dedicated Kenwood CG-100 (circa GBP 56 -- GBP 75).  It would be interesting to try a real spice grinder, designed for the task.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes