Author Topic: Slow Cooked Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches  (Read 16968 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Slow Cooked Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:53 PM »
For those of you who have ever tried slow cooked Pulled Pork Sandwiches you'll know exactly what I am talking about :)

For those who haven't, then this is a dish you just have to try and believe me once you have, it'll be on your top list of dishes to make.....

I first had this back in 1988 when I visited the Hard Rock Cafe in Piccadilly, London. It stuck in my mind so much that I have always tried it when I have been out to dinner and seen it on the menu, but have never bothered to cook it up until now....

The recipe below calls for a slow cooker if you have one as it slow cooks the Pork for 7-8 hours so that when you shred the Pork with 2 forks it just simply falls apart and is so tender. If you don't then I guess you could do it in a saucepan, but you would have to ensure that the liquid doesn't dry up, but I would not have any suggestions on how to achieve that.

The Chipotle Chilies in Adobo sauce are just wonderful. They are kind of hard to get hold of in the UK and I usually buy mine when I go to Florida, but you can get them here from the following company which is based in London, (Casa Mexico).

http://www.casamexico.co.uk/products/chipotle_adobados_220g-1037-40.htm

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar (I use Muscovado)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 and a half teaspoons ground mustard powder
3 teaspoons chilli powder
1 boneless pork shoulder (3 lb), trimmed of fat
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (approx 240ml) I Used Pasata.
2 canned chipotle chillies, finely chopped
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle chillies
Burger buns, split in half

DIRECTIONS
1. Spray the slow cooker with oil. In small bowl, mix brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, mustard and chilli powder. Rub seasoning mixture over pork. Place pork in cooker. Sprinkle any remaining seasoning mixture that doesn't stick to pork over top of pork in cooker.

2. Cover, cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.

3. Remove pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Remove liquid from cooker; skim fat from liquid and reserve liquid. Cool pork slightly. With 2 forks, shred pork. Return to cooker. Stir tomato sauce, chipotle chillies and adobo sauce into shredded pork. If desired, stir in some of the reserved cooking liquid for desired moistness.

4. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until hot. Spoon about 1/3 cup pork mixture into each bun. Pork mixture can be kept warm on Low heat setting up to 2 hours; stir occasionally.

I served mine tonight simply with French Fries and some Tomato and Cucumber, but you can add whatever you want.

Enjoy :)

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Cooked Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Looks brilliant...

I made bbq pulled beef the other week, may have to try pork next

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Love the sound of this, I'll hope to give it a try since I'm lucky enough to have a slow cooker.  One question - "2 canned chipotle chillies, finely chopped" is that 2 chillies from a can of canned chipotle chillies, or is it 2 cans of chipotle chillies?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Love the sound of this, I'll hope to give it a try since I'm lucky enough to have a slow cooker.  One question - "2 canned chipotle chillies, finely chopped" is that 2 chillies from a can of canned chipotle chillies, or is it 2 cans of chipotle chillies?

LOL, I asked my girlfriend in Florida the same question and she said she used 2 cans of the stuff, but as she likes food so hot and spicy she is used it.

But having read the recipe properly it does call for 2 chilies out of a can. This is the first time I have made this today, and I would say that you could use 3 or 4 depending on how much you like Chipotle chilies. They give an amazing smokiness to any dish :)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Oh wow, this looks great!  :D

Love pulled pork. Probably one of the few things I would rank up there with my love of curry.

Haven't had it such a long time - will give this a go at some point. Thanks for posting.  :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:03 PM »
looks like food heaven to me :)

barry

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Looks brilliant...

I made bbq pulled beef the other week, may have to try pork next

I've never had pulled beef, what cut of meat do you use? and do you have a recipe please? :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Hi 976,

I'm planning on making this tomorrow and have a couple of questions. First, are the spoon measures level, heaped or rounded? Second is the ground mustard powder the stuff you add water to, like this:

http://www.colmans.co.uk/our-range/mustards/mustard-powder/

Or is it ground up whole mustard seeds? Or maybe there's no difference. I don't know!

I couldn't find chipotles in adobo sauce so I'm going to use this chipotle paste I found in Waitrose:
http://www.waitrose.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductView-10317-10001-30237-Discovery+chipotle+paste.html?storeId=10317

.... Smells divine when you open the jar!

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:47 AM »
Many thanks for this, 976. I'm lucky enough to know someone who travels regularly between the UK and Costa Rica, and I always ask her to grab me a few tins of chipotles (wonderful product), so I'm really looking forward getting stuck into this recipe....

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:35 PM »
976bar your reputation proceeds you for me. never been dissapointed.

i had a few tries at this coming at it from "smokers" at the wood fired oven site - trying to replicate using a domestic oven. you can't totally.

the 2 things that hit me was the length of cooking needed for the pork to pull apart - your 7 to 8 hrs sounds good (i used 140C oven for 5 hrs so far). the 2nd being you need some kind of sauce to mix into the cooked pork as even keeping it moist during the cooking that natural "dryness" of pork does not do the taste justice - your "passata" etc sounds spot on too.

obviously the chipotle are key ingredient - do you feel there is a make shift alternative say using smoked paprika.

©2024 Curry Recipes