Author Topic: Korma Video Recipe  (Read 10733 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Korma Video Recipe
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Hi All
A Classic Indian Restaurant Curry
Korma is a very mild dish prepared with sultanas and cashews, with a greater use of fresh cream and coconut.
A lot of BIR/Ta's garnish the dish with a few sultanas and cashews or maybe almond flakes.
I prefer to cook the garnish, but its optional if you want to try the recipe. I usually add G&G
paste, but I forgot in this video.
"http://player.vimeo.com/video/27542257?color=ff9933&autoplay=1"

KORMA SAUCE

What you need
2 tbs Butter Ghee
1 tbs Golden Sultanas
1 tbs Cashew Nuts
4 tbs Coconut Flour
1 tbs Almond Powder
2 tbs White Sugar
A pinch of Salt
250ml Single Cream

How I do it
Melt Ghee in your pan on medium heat.
Add 1 tsp G&G paste, (optional) saute for 30secs
Add Sultanas and Cashews, the Sultanas will absorb the ghee
and swell up and become plump and juicy,  about 30secs.
Add qtr of your warm base gravy and stir/mix well.
Add Coconut, Almond, Sugar and half the cream and mix well and cook
on medium heat for 5-7 ish mins, gradually adding the remainder of the warm base gravy
and cream.

Taste as you go, If you like a very sweet korma, just add more sugar to suit.
or use some Jaggery or Honey.
I always add a pinch of Salt, while cooking, even in a Korma.

N.B.
Coconut flour has a subtle taste of real coconut, just like tinned coconut milk.
If you like a more intense manufactured coconut flavour, (like Bounty Bars)
use pure creamed coconut (KTC) and for an "Old School" Korma,
use (Carnation) evaporated milk, instead of cream.

Quite a few calories in this one girls!

cheers Chewy

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Korma Video Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Nice one Chewy - cracking video.

What sort of pre-cooked chicken would go in a Korma (would tikka be used)? I don't eat Korma nor do I cook them but they are obviously popular, so it's a good one to have in your arsenal.

Also, does anyone know the difference between desiccated coconut, coconut powder and coconut flour?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Nice one Chewy - cracking video.

What sort of precooked chicken would go in a Korma (would tikka be used)? I don't eat Korma nor do I cook them but they are obviously popular, so it's a good one to have in your arsenal.

Also, does anyone know the difference between desiccated coconut, coconut powder and coconut flour?

Hi ramirez
Glad you liked the Vid ;)

Any precooked chicken or meat, the dye from tikka can effect the final colour of the dish.

On the Coconut issue: It's all about texture.

1. Coconut cream is the finest texture.
2. Maggie Coconut Milk powder is very fine texture.
3. Coconut Flour is fine texture.
4. Desiccated coconut is a big jump to coarse texture.

Hope this helps
cheers Chewy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Another brilliant video mate.

Just a bit confused with regards to the coconut element though.  On your video the ingredients list states 'creamed coconut' which to me, is the block.  However, your ingredients list below states 'coconut flour'.  What did you actually use in the video?  It looked like crumbled creamed coconut.

Just on other note, please guy's, lets not get into the whole 'what is coconut flour' debate.  It's been done to death over and over and over and over.............. ;D

Ray :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Another brilliant video mate.

Just a bit confused with regards to the coconut element though.  On your video the ingredients list states 'creamed coconut' which to me, is the block.  However, your ingredients list below states 'coconut flour'.  What did you actually use in the video?  It looked like crumbled creamed coconut.

Just on other note, please guy's, lets not get into the whole 'what is coconut flour' debate.  It's been done to death over and over and over and over.............. ;D

Thanks and well spotted Ray
Yeah, it was the end of a packet of creamed coconut I had at hand.
And after all I am a bit old school ;D

p.s. If anybody has any nut allergy's. Don't eat this ::)
cheers Chewy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for clearing that one up mate.  If I'm being honest, I've always had my best results making Korma with creamed coconut than flour but I was never convinced that it was a genuine BIR ingredient down to the expense. 

Did/does the BIR's that you frequent use creamed coconut Chewy?

Cheers Bud,

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for clearing that one up mate.  If I'm being honest, I've always had my best results making Korma with creamed coconut than flour but I was never convinced that it was a genuine BIR ingredient down to the expense. 

Did/does the BIR's that you frequent use creamed coconut Chewy?

Cheers Bud,

Hi Ray
Right again mate, Coconut Flour mainly for Korma's, but they do use the creamed coconut
in more pricey dishes and again it depends on the Chef and his recipe's.
cheers Chewy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:20 PM »

I understand that you may feel that it's been "done to death", Ray, but I, and I'm sure many others, are not as clear (as you seem to be) on the "debate"......hence it's still worth debating, IMHO.... ;)

Here is a link to one such "debate" (to answer Ramirez's question...but with no real, satisfactory, conclusions IMO) for those that might be interested: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4348.0

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I've just made today a Chicken Korma for my daughter who now won't eat it from a BIR anymore as she say's none of them can make it the same...

I always use Coconut Milk Powder for mine, and I add 1 tsp of Turmeric powder to make it yellow as all Korma's in the South of England are yellow and I've never seen down here any sight of Sultana's or Cashew Nuts, as previously stated I think it must be a regional thing, but would like to hear from anyone in the south who has had Korma down here and found such ingredients in their dish :)

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I've just made today a Chicken Korma for my daughter who now won't eat it from a BIR anymore as she say's none of them can make it the same...

I always use Coconut Milk Powder for mine, and I add 1 tsp of Turmeric powder to make it yellow as all Korma's in the South of England are yellow and I've never seen down here any sight of Sultana's or Cashew Nuts, as previously stated I think it must be a regional thing, but would like to hear from anyone in the south who has had Korma down here and found such ingredients in their dish :)

I'm with you on this one my friend, I live in the South West and never seen sultanas or cashews in Korma
HS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:18 PM by hotstuff09 »

©2024 Curry Recipes