Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 3752 times)

Offline stevej

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello :)
« on: November 19, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Hello

Names Steve from the UK, (Watford), but living in Nottingham.

I have made a few authentic curries before using Madar Jaffreys curry bible and my homemade Garam Masala and Ghee (which until finding this site was quite proud of) , but BIR's are all new to me. I am enjoying reading the curry base recipes, and hope to try one within the week.

Has anyone any tips regarding spice oil (as I have none to start with), which base should a newbee start with, and which curry should I try first?

Lastly can I attempt any type of curry (madras, Jalfrezi, Bhuna, Kalia etc...) with the same curry base. Or do I need Lots of bases?

Cheers

Steve

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:50 AM »
Hello there Steve!

I'll let the Spice Gods give you an official welcome, but please accept my newbie welcome all the same.

As for your question about base curry sauce you can use the sauce for a range of curries.

Peeps here recommend the Kris Dhillon base sauce ... GO SEE THE "Kris Dhillon Curry Gravy" topic in the "CURRY SAUCE" sub-section of the "BRITISH INDIAN RESTAURANT" section ... but I'm new round here so I've been using the Holy Grail sauce ...

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/Holy_Grail.html

From this base I've made a Lamb Dupiaza, a Lamb Jalfrezi, a Chicken Jalfrezi and a Chicken Korma in the last two weeks (and I just made a 16 portion amount of base tonight for the next few experiments!!)

Elsewhere on this site there is a link to download and print out the Kris Dhillon "book" of recipes.  I'm about to dive in there.  As to what to make first, once you've got the base you can go anywhere you like really ... but of course I'm bound to suggest a Jalfrezi!

:-)

DeeDee

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Hi Steve,

Theres many good bases around, the KD base, bruce edwards curry house cookery base, petes 600ml oil base, etc etc.

My current favourite is in the thread 'Cracked it'.

Generally any base and main dish recipe can be combined so feel free to pick any base then look throguh the recipe section to pick out a main dish you fancy.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 10:11 AM »
Welcome Steve.

but BIR's are all new to me

You come from Watford and are now in Nottingham, but BIRs are new to you? Have you been walking around with a bag on your head?? ?:D

As far as the bases go, I agree with what the others have said, but if you want to try each end of the spectrum, I think you should try both the KD base which is very basic and the Bruce Edwards base which is quite complex.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:09 AM »
But whatever base you try make sure it has ~500ml oil in and skim it off at the end to get your spiced oil

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 03:27 PM »
A big welcome to the forum Steve.
Curry Heaven is but a click away mate.

DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome.

There is also Darth's base ( he's from the post above) which I have made and give a hearty thumbs up.
Also the Balti Kitchen Video makes a nice tasty and uncomplicated base which I think is good for a new starter. You can P.M. me if you would like a D.V.D. copy sending.

Regards

Ray Graham

©2024 Curry Recipes