Author Topic: the hottest curry  (Read 11977 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: the hottest curry
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 12:15 PM »
hello
what is 8 spice
Hello fisherman.  8 spice is Abdhul's mix powder (containing 8 different spices in varying quantities)

Offline fishaman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 12:19 PM »
cheers will give it a go

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Have just made a portion of this only used 300ml of base so halved the ingredients so don't know if that will affect the heat but it its a nice curry not to hot at half the ingredients does leave a nice tingle in the back of your throat will be making again
Did the converse of this yesterday, making a double-sized portion of my variant on CA's Chicken Madras.  With the benefit of hindsight, this was a mistake : if a single-sized portion scores six on a heat scale of zero to ten, the double sized portion scored nearer to eight.  This suggests to me that when scaling up a dish, it is not necessarily correct to scale the spices linearly; perhaps scaling them in proportion to the root of the ratio might be more appropriate, so if a single portion requires (say) one teaspoon of Deggi Mirch and one teaspoon of Kashmiri Mirch, a double portion might require only 1.5 teaspoons of each.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58 PM »
so if a single portion requires (say) one teaspoon of Deggi Mirch and one teaspoon of Kashmiri Mirch, a double portion might require only 1.5 teaspoons of each.

Sorry Phil, I don't get your logic?  If everything was exactly x2, then surely the spicing should be x2 also?  I would however, suggest the one exception to this rule would be the cooking time. I wouldn't necessarily increase the cooking by x2!

Ray :)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19 AM »
Hi
this is the portion i made
veg oil
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1/2 tbsp g/g paste
1/2 tbsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tbsp blended green chillies
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp spice mix ( razors )
1/2 tbsp tom puree
pinch of salt
300ml base sauce ( chewys )
fresh coriander

The curry its self was just about the right heat for my personal taste not to hot but i have been to the loo this morning and the ring sting is there  :o if you like it hot hot id suggest leaving the chilli quantities as full tbsp

Jamie

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55 PM »
I survived Dynamite Chicken and have posted my comments in the recipe thread and pictures in the pictures section.  Very nice curry for heat fans but not "Curry Hell" ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Sorry Phil, I don't get your logic?  If everything was exactly x2, then surely the spicing should be x2 also?  I would however, suggest the one exception to this rule would be the cooking time. I wouldn't necessarily increase the cooking by x2!

I don't pretend to understand the logic myself, Ray !  All I can say is that, from personal observation, a CA-style Chicken Madras with 300gm chicken, 300ml base, and 2 x teaspoon chillies is Madras strength, while the same recipe made with 600gm chicken, 600ml base, and 4 x teaspoon chillies was closer to Vindaloo in strength. It may seem illogical (it does seem illogical), but that was definitely the observed effect, confirmed by wife and guest.  Incidentally, said guest said that the meal compared favourably to any he had ever eaten in a real BIR or had as a take-away, so all credit to those concerned : CA, for the starting point for the Madras; Axe, for the Sag Aloo (still unpublished, I think); and Dave Loyden for the pulao rice (not his exact recipe, but uses his idea of frying the unwashed Basmati rice).

** Phil.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Hi

I am with you on this phil and also cannot explain it!  This is the reason I always make single portion curries.

Regards

Barry

©2024 Curry Recipes