Author Topic: Masaledar sauce?  (Read 26341 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Masaledar sauce?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56 PM »
The original thread ? Is there another thread regarding Masaladar, or do you just mean this thread ? Yeah I had a thorough look through this thread. The closest thing I saw, and that was purely from visual aesthetics from the video that was supplied, was the Jalfrezi that is mentioned that adds the Jhal/red masala mix. I'm not sure if thats just a straight up Jalfrezi though.

Alas, as previously stated, my fairly intensive internet searching has yielded no discernable results apart from finding this thread. Anything that comes up on internet searches looks a lot drier and completely different.

Perhaps its time to just start experimenting on my own and trying to replicate, just wish I had put as many hours into honing curries as I have with my various chilli's, maybe then I'd stand a better chance.

Once again, thanks for your reply.
Hi EuanW, a pathia recipe will be very close to a masaladar. It's virtually identical. There is maybe a bit of ketchup in some masaladar recipes
ELW
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:11 PM by ELW »

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 01:45 PM »
It might be my fault for not spooning enough sauce out of the restaurant TA tray onto my plate ! It is very much full of luscious, sweet and tangy sauce for dipping plenty of nan bread into !

Having done a bit more investigating, I'm beginning to wonder if Masaladar isn't very similar to a Punjabi Masala, given that Masaladar has Masala in the name and  is described as 'A mouthwatering dish made with freshly ground Punjabi spices and green peppers, cooked in a slightly tangy sauce'

I see there is a Punjabi Masala recipe to go with the Taz base that I cooked a batch of on Friday, so I may give this a try tonight and see how it compares

EDIT - having re-checked my favourite restaurant that serves this dish, I see that Punjabi Masala and Tandoori Masala are both on the menu alongside Masaladar, so I guess they cant really be the same thing.

The main difference seems to be that Maslaladar is less rich and more mouthwatering and tangy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:01 PM by EuanW »

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47 PM »
The original thread ? Is there another thread regarding Masaladar, or do you just mean this thread ? Yeah I had a thorough look through this thread. The closest thing I saw, and that was purely from visual aesthetics from the video that was supplied, was the Jalfrezi that is mentioned that adds the Jhal/red masala mix. I'm not sure if thats just a straight up Jalfrezi though.

Alas, as previously stated, my fairly intensive internet searching has yielded no discernable results apart from finding this thread. Anything that comes up on internet searches looks a lot drier and completely different.

Perhaps its time to just start experimenting on my own and trying to replicate, just wish I had put as many hours into honing curries as I have with my various chilli's, maybe then I'd stand a better chance.

Once again, thanks for your reply.
Hi EuanW, a pathia recipe will be very close to a masaladar. It's virtually identical. There is maybe a bit of ketchup in some masaladar recipes
ELW

They are definitely not without similarities, Patia and Masaladar, but there is a difference. It's a long time since I had a Patia in fairness, I kind of moved away from it and Chasni in my early 20s as my tastes developed.

I will try out something though and make a few adjustments - inclusion of roughly chopped green peppers, maybe an addition of tamarind in place of lemon juice, some tomato ketchup which should create a tanginess with the vinegar in it, coriander will be my starting points.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:22 PM by EuanW »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16 AM »
Hi EuanW, I tend to disregard the menu wordings of dishes as I'm sure you will have came across  word for word descriptions across many Glasgow menus.
"special blend of Punjabi spices" seems to feature heavily, which is clearly selected from a drop  down menu at the printers.
The masaladar/masalader sauce is definitely  an offshoot of a pathia rather than a Punjabi masala. If you play about with the quantities of mango chutney, ketchup, base gravy, sugar&  lemon,, you will get close to what your after.
Of course, if you don't know your local restaurant or t/a's gravy recipe, it won't be the  same thing.
Depending on how much pathia/chasni/masalader they knock out, they will normally  have a ready made sweet and sour paste to make all those  3 dishes.
The jhal/ tandoori/red sauce paste is not what goes in a masaladar. For example,that would be in a Japuiri curry, which you've probably had one being Glaswegian
Regards
ELW

*I'm in Glasgow myself, so if you want to post your Glasgow restaurant / t/a good & bads I'm all ears

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:39 AM by ELW »

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Hi EuanW, I tend to disregard the menu wordings of dishes as I'm sure you will have came across  word for word descriptions across many Glasgow menus.
"special blend of Punjabi spices" seems to feature heavily, which is clearly selected from a drop  down menu at the printers.
The masaladar/masalader sauce is definitely  an offshoot of a pathia rather than a Punjabi masala. If you play about with the quantities of mango chutney, ketchup, base gravy, sugar&  lemon,, you will get close to what your after.
Of course, if you don't know your local restaurant or t/a's gravy recipe, it won't be the  same thing.
Depending on how much pathia/chasni/masalader they knock out, they will normally  have a ready made sweet and sour paste to make all those  3 dishes.
The jhal/ tandoori/red sauce paste is not what goes in a masaladar. For example,that would be in a Japuiri curry, which you've probably had one being Glaswegian
Regards
ELW

*I'm in Glasgow myself, so if you want to post your Glasgow restaurant / t/a good & bads I'm all ears

Hey mate, I actually did a run of this last night using Stephen Lindsays Patia recipe with Taz base, so that's thanks to you and your recommendation !

Doubled all his portions as I usually like to have some the next day and/or freeze.

Suffice to say it turned out brilliantly and was about 95% bang on with a Masaladar.  All I did was add plenty of pre cooked chopped green peppers, one desert spoon each of Tamarind sauce, Tomato ketchup and distilled white vinegar and added a very healthy dose of chopped up coriander through the curry.

As I say, it turned out brilliantly and I was ecstatic. I've got some pictures I'll put up as well.

The restaurant I was referring to is the Turban Tandoori in Giffnock next to the train station. I've been going there since I was a kid, and whilst I don't live in the area now, I'm not too far away so still get deliveries and go in from time to time

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 05:43 PM »
If it's any help, I came across this one from BB1 on Youtube, which might just be what you're after.  Big Boaby has been pretty active here recently so may be able to assist you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0z0g-trgO0

©2024 Curry Recipes