Author Topic: How to peel a whole head of garlic in less than 10 seconds  (Read 15742 times)

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How to peel a whole head of garlic in less than 10 seconds
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Great to hear that this works  :) I'm looking forward to giving it a go myself  ;D

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:56 PM »
 I got lactic acid build up way before the ten seconds was up.  That apart, it definitely works, and is now incorporated into my chef's armoury of techniques.

lactic acid....is that maybe the "secret" ingredient we've all allegedly been missing

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Just tried this again, this time using a whole head of garlic and the smallest of my non-stick saucepans (with glass lid) as the shaker : much more comfortable to hold, managed 50 repetitions before tiredness ensued, and over 90% success rate.  Removed all those that were done, gave the remainder 30 repetitions, and all perfect.  This is going to be such a time saver !

Now, who is going to invent "how to peel a whole root of ginger in ten seconds" ?

** Phil.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04 PM »
WOW!!! You see some tips and you think that's not going to work... well this one definitely does... Thanks for the heads up currymonster, nice one  ;D

Rob.

Offline POG

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55 PM »
Yup, tried this today and can confirm that it 100% works  ;D

Whole bulb de-skinned in 10 seconds  :)

Now to get some of my life back...many thanks to the OP  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 02:26 AM »
Great find CM! 

It works a treat!  How could such a Top Tip be kept so secret for so long!?  :o

I peeled several whole bulbs, simultaneously, in around 30 seconds total (shaking once to peel around 80% of the cloves and twice to peel the remainder). 

I used a stainless steel stock pot with lid. 

When I can find the "whisk" attachment, for my Mini Whiz, I'll try using that...it might save the lactic acid build up, in the arms, Phil!  :P

Thanks for finding it and posting it CM  8)

PS:  This thread would probably be easier for others to find if it was moved to a more relevant section though (e.g. "hint and tips").  It took me 15 minutes to find it and I knew what I was looking for!  :P

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 02:34 AM »
God, I feel terrible. I spent upwards of 20 mins (or more, didn't clock it) peeling 400 grams of garlic for a new batch of g&g. Just when I thought that diving the garlic cloves into the water was already a great advance in the art of peeling garlics.... this one really takes the cake! Next time... ;-)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Now, who is going to invent "how to peel a whole root of ginger in ten seconds" ?

** Phil.

More to the point - who is going to invent - " how to deseed 400 caradamon pods in 30 seconds " would be of more use.  .................... and Phil - why do you peel yer garlic? Not necessary for most uses. Just remove the odd knobbly gnurly bits. ( the garlic - not you)  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:03 PM »
More to the point - who is going to invent - " how to deseed 400 caradamon pods in 30 seconds " would be of more use.

No need, old chap : I can buy the insides as easily as the complete thing.

and Phil - why do you peel yer garlic? Not necessary for most uses. Just remove the odd knobbly gnurly bits. ( the garlic - not you)  ;)

Urk : the only place I would even /consider/ using unpeeled garlic is in a base that will subsequently be mouli'd/sieved ...

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14 PM »

No need, old chap : I can buy the insides as easily as the complete thing.

Already powdered you mean?

Urk : the only place I would even /consider/ using unpeeled garlic is in a base that will subsequently be mouli'd/sieved ...

** Phil.

You old stick in the mud   ;)  if anything needs blending then what is the noticeable difference? if it has to be put through sieve , of course, no difference.  Only point remains = there is something horrid about the skin?  Do you eat jacket pots?  new pots with skin on?  Is this a texture thing? Do you have a thing about ginger skin? Are you gingerist?   ;) ;D  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes