Author Topic: First Timer / Curry Base  (Read 5655 times)

Offline CurryMan136

• Chef
    • View Profile
First Timer / Curry Base
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Hi All

First of all, I only found this site yesterday and was inspired to make myself a nice curry (which isn't finished yet) I've got the 3 portions of the base done (two are now in the freezer) and the 3rd one which I have started to make a masala curry with.

So I thought I would share the results!

The base is made from the Curry Base "gravy/sauce" by Cory Ander but using ground ginger instead of fresh and without the coriander stalks/roots. I also reduced the salt as well. It actually took me a while to source most of the spices I needed but seems worth it in the end.

My cooking skills are normally limited to beans on toast and cheese toasties... I am extremely happy with the resulting base.

Pics below.

Curry Base sitting in the pan!

That took about 1hr 20mins and I blended the above into the following...

2 Portions of Curry Base to save in the freezer.

As I didn't have anymore than two suitable containers to freeze the 3rd portion - I decided to start on the actual curry sauce (which I'll be finishing and having tomorrow, it's in the fridge) and came up with the following.. It currently tastes delicious and I am sure after adding some peas and chicken It'll be even better.

And that's how it looks currently! - It may look a bit pale as I didn't really want to add any food colouring to it. Once it's finished tomorrow I'll take a few more pics and update this thread.

A big thank you to everyone on here who posts these amazing recipes! - If I can make something out of them then anyone can.

Regards

Steve

P.S.  Big thanks to Cory Ander for the actual recipe.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: First Timer / Curry Base
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Congratulations on choice of base.  Looking at the results and your comments on the taste tomorrow curry should be damn tasty.   Please post the results.  Enjoy  ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12 PM »
That looks an excellent Base Sauce there matey but unless I am wrong that is just Base Sauce in the Frying Pan is it ? Only you need a Curry Recipe to go with the Base Sauce now  :)
Sorry if I am missing something but it sounds like you intend to just add Chicken to the Base Sauce. ???

Offline CurryMan136

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18 PM »
That looks an excellent Base Sauce there matey but unless I am wrong that is just Base Sauce in the Frying Pan is it ? Only you need a Curry Recipe to go with the Base Sauce now  :)
Sorry if I am missing something but it sounds like you intend to just add Chicken to the Base Sauce. ???

Ah sorry - I forgot to mention that I have been following CA's Tikka Masala with the added Single Cream, Spice Mix, Garlic, Sugar and Tomato Paste. It's got a lot thicker than the curry base, but hasn't changed colour much as I have left out the red colouring in the tandoori masala mix.

I intend to add some of Pataks Tandoori sauce to it and some chilli powder when I finish this off tomorrow, I suppose that should make it looking a little more like a curry.

If I get chance I may get some red colouring but I didn't really see a point as it's just for myself currently and It's the taste that counts.

Thanks for the comments on the base sauce :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42 PM »

Ah sorry - I forgot to mention that I have been following CA's Tikka Masala with the added Single Cream, Spice Mix, Garlic, Sugar and Tomato Paste. It's got a lot thicker than the curry base, but hasn't changed colour much as I have left out the red colouring in the tandoori masala mix.

I intend to add some of Pataks Tandoori sauce to it and some chilli powder when I finish this off tomorrow, I suppose that should make it looking a little more like a curry.

If I get chance I may get some red colouring but I didn't really see a point as it's just for myself currently and It's the taste that counts.

Thanks for the comments on the base sauce :)

;) Nice one.

Offline luke465

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Fantastic, well done  :D

Offline CurryMan136

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Well here is my update!

Finished off the curry and had it for tea...

Ended up adding more paprika, chilli powder, tandoori paste and peas & chicken and some more ginger :)

Pics below.

And was delicious - Thanks again to everyone who posts recipes and help/tips on these forums. Will be making more in the near future!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the journey.  How did it compare to your normal BIR dish?

Offline CurryMan136

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the journey.  How did it compare to your normal BIR dish?

Thank you!

The sauce tasted very nice - Not sure if I would compare it yet, as I made it very mildly as others don't like it hot!

I guess the next step is to keep trying, make different curries and get my rice sorted out :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Loads of time and plenty of sound advice to be found in the forum  8).  You'll soon  be cooking dishes as good as your local BIR  ;D.   As for the rice,  go and look at the the threads here and your rice will be sorted instantaneously!!!

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=86.0

Try mine or somebody elses.  You won't be disappointed  ;D.  Keep us posted on how you get on along with some pics.

©2024 Curry Recipes