Author Topic: My first curry base (and now first homemade BIR curry)  (Read 4661 times)

Offline stevej

• Chef
    • View Profile
My first curry base (and now first homemade BIR curry)
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Hello there,

this is my first attempt at a curry base. I used a slightly modified version of the KD base, and the Cracked It base.

Firstly I boiled red onions garlic and ginger unpeeled for 45 mins. This produced a blood red sweet smelling liquid that was very bitter in taste ( shown in second picture, also in first picture - top right hob)

I then peeled the onions and garlic but left the ginger unpeeled. I deep fried the boiled onions for 15 mins until caramilised, I then added the garlic and chopped ginger, plus half a stick of cinamon and three slices of lemon and continued feep frying for 5 minutes  ;D ;D ;D.

From then on, I pretty much followed the instructions for the 'Cracked It' base, but used the red onion/ginger/garlic stock instead of water.

The jug contains my skimmed spice oil which I plan to reuse. (there was alot more once I had completely finished skimming, I took the pictures early on and simmered for around 45mins)

I shall be using the base tommorrow to make my first BIR curry. I will let you know what the end result tastes like. Going by the smell and taste of the base I can't wait  ;)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 08:44 PM by stevej »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My first curry base
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 08:43 PM »
You boiled the onions and then fried them? What made you do it this way, as it would normally be done the other way round?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Nice pics, does look red  :)

Let us know how the curry turns out, there was a red onion base i've seen before was it "X" from in2curry, some boiled onion paste that went in with it?

Offline stevej

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:59 PM »
I boiled first so that the skins just fell off. Also most of the flavour and good stuff is under the skin. I know this from making tomato soup. I always roast tomatos, onions and garlic unpeeled before blending. This intensifies the flavour. I figured boiling will be similar and also preserve the oniony goodness in the water which I can then use in my base.

Never visited in2curry.com before. Only found this website on a whim while trying to cook a Kalia. Now i'm hooked. Have been reading posts for well over four hours now. My head hurts from too much input

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:51 AM »
Hi Steve,

Yes, there is a lot on this site, and that's what makes it stand out from the in2curry site which has just about been dead and buried!

I found my first experiences of this site gave too much info and started to confuse me. The trick is to focus on one thread or recipe and follow it along before jumping on to the next

Regards

Ray

Offline stevej

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:44 PM »
And here is the finished curry. A lamb tikka Kalia.  ;D

It had the BIR smell, and the tomatoes were spot on. I think I split my base sauce into too many freezer bags yesterday, because there wasn't enough curry gravy and I had to water it down which spoilt the end result a little.

©2024 Curry Recipes