Author Topic: Chicken Rogan Josh  (Read 31191 times)

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Rogan Josh
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 10:26 PM »
I'm sure the addition of green cardamons and cloves will give the curry another dimension. Interestingly, my goto Rogan Josh recipe by Razor (here) includes both spices and it, too, is absolutely delicious.

I will have to try your recipe, looks great, I haven'y used cinnamon sticks in any of my curries yet as I am only learning  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31 PM »
I will have to try your recipe, looks great, I haven'y used cinnamon sticks in any of my curries yet as I am only learning  ;)

Anyone who can truthfully say "I have tweaked it slightly and the result is excellent, as good as any curry I have tasted in a restaurant." is well past the "only learning" stage !  Well done, Bolinao.

** Phil.

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06 PM »

Anyone who can truthfully say "I have tweaked it slightly and the result is excellent, as good as any curry I have tasted in a restaurant." is well past the "only learning" stage !  Well done, Bolinao.

** Phil.

Thanks, but to be honest I have only eaten curries in my home city of Adelaide, but have tried many different ones from our curry houses here.  :)

I have never tried authentic BIR curries   :'(

Today I learnt how to cook naan bread, went and bought a iron tawa and the result was amazing, have my daughter and her fiance coming around next week for a curry meal. so now can cook them curry and naan bread to boot.  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 09:21 PM »
[T]o be honest I have only eaten curries in my home city of Adelaide, but have tried many different ones from our curry houses here.
No experience of Adelaide curries, I'm afraid.  I was in Melbourne (CSIRO/DITMELB) for six weeks, and ate a few curries there, but nowhere else in Oz ...

Today I learnt how to cook naan bread, went and bought a iron tawa and the result was amazing, have my daughter and her fiance coming around next week for a curry meal. so now can cook them curry and naan bread to boot.  ;D
Onwards and upwards !

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Bolinao, if you are making and eating curries following the directions from this site, then supposedly you are tasting genuine BIR. The only real difference would be in the branding of locally available spices and masalas.  I doubt that this is cause for any significant variation.  What we get could even be the same product but distributed under a different label.  You wont find Rajah mild madras curry powder out here and some other brand specific items are not available.

For whatever reason, some expat Brits out here, and those who've returned, don't rate Aussie curries but to be completely honest there is not any discernible difference in what I now make from using this site and other BIR resources and what is available in the curry industry here in Oz.  Not that I've found anyway.  There is obviously going to be good, bad and everything in between but I don't really see that it is significantly altogether "different".  From what you'll read here occasionally, the industry has apparently taken a downward turn over there as well.  It will also depend a lot upon the cultural / ethnic background of the proprieters and chefs.

Although, there was a series of Aussie method curry sauce / paste recipes posted here years ago and this method was definitely different.  I've not seen it in use anywhere though.  I tried it and it worked to produce curries but the BIR method is much easier.  Most businesses I've eaten from, where you can see the kitchen, have big pots of gravy and pre-cooked meats on the go and the dishes seem to be prepared in a similar manner to the BIR method.

©2024 Curry Recipes