Author Topic: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils  (Read 21229 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I was in Aldi at the weekend and they had on offer 2 curry oils from Chalis. One was mild and the other hot. 250ml for ?2.49 each, so I bought 2 hot and 1 mild.

I made a Madras with the hot one yesterday and it really did add to the heat of the dish and the flavour was really nice too.

I'm not sure where else you can buy these products but here is their website, and they do all sorts of different oils. Well worth a try :)

http://www.aak-uk.com/brochures/chalice-brochure/

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21 PM »
An interesting find 976.  Aldi does turn out some really good deals and there's one just down the road from me ;D.  Maybe i'll add a bottle or two to the collection, already swelling from my France trip on Friday ::)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I've just made Taz's base, which uses 450ml of oil and I replaced 100ml of the rapeseed oil with the hot curry oil. The smell is amazing and the colour is really good too.

Can't wait to cook a curry now :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I've just made Taz's base, which uses 450ml of oil and I replaced 100ml of the rapeseed oil with the hot curry oil. The smell is amazing and the colour is really good too.

Can't wait to cook a curry now :)
I wait with baited breath 976 for the verdict :D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I've just had a reply from the manufacturer. Apparently Aldi did this as a special and they hope it will be repeated, however they advised that Asda stock these oils. Not all Asda stores but quite a lot. If you have an Asda near you and they don't, ask customer service and they will be able to advise you of the nearest store that does stock these.

But take a look at the website at the beginning of the thread, they sell quite a lot of different oils which all look very good. A very interesting company :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Only just found this thread after you mentioned it in the other thread Bob. Will have a browse of my local Asda this weekend to see if they stock these oils. Shame their website is built with flash, it's impossible to view on an iPad.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13 PM »
just bought the hot curry oil from Aldi...79p...bargain...smells and tastes as though it would add something interesting to my curries

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I found the Chalice mild curry oil 250ml in Aldi Northampton this morning at

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
First impression of the aroma is it's interesting but haldi appears to be the prevalent smell. 
Poor Haldi : how can you make such an unflattering assertion about a fellow member ?! :)
** Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I'm sure Haldi's a lovely chap and the aroma of the oil is quite pleasant and reminiscent of a good curry powder, albeit with the strong earthy notes of haldi (not Haldi) apparent. 

I made my first curry using it tonight, 2 TBS chalice spiced oil, 2 TBS veg oil.  Definately made an improvement to the flavour of the dish, although I went over the top with the chilli powder so the more subtle flavour of the oil was slightly lost.

I'd like to try this oil in pilau rice as I think it would make a positive difference to the flavour.  All in all a great spot by 976Bar and I hope it becomes an Aldi regular rather than just a short term special.

©2024 Curry Recipes