Author Topic: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils  (Read 21257 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I'm sure Haldi's a lovely chap and the aroma of the oil is quite pleasant and reminiscent of a good curry powder, albeit with the strong earthy notes of haldi (not Haldi) apparent. 

I made my first curry using it tonight, 2 TBS chalice spiced oil, 2 TBS veg oil.  Definately made an improvement to the flavour of the dish, although I went over the top with the chilli powder so the more subtle flavour of the oil was slightly lost.

I'd like to try this oil in pilau rice as I think it would make a positive difference to the flavour.  All in all a great spot by 976Bar and I hope it becomes an Aldi regular rather than just a short term special.

Hi Natterjack,

Don't forget some Asda stores stock this on a regular basis too :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I've also sent a product suggestion to Ocado as it would be perfect to be able to add them to my weekly shop. 

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Ps.. the ingredients list is fairly enigmatic.  "Ingredients: Sunflower oil; natural flavours"!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I went back to Aldi Northampton today as my 2 bottles of Chalice oil didnt last long at all. Sadly there was none to be found, so perhaps aldi carried them as a special only rather than as a regular stock item. Tried Asda Northampton too, no joy there.

I had half an idea to try a batch of Curry2go Chorley's base sauce but that calls for 500ml of spiced oil (plus more to make the curries) so I'm a bit sunk. Last time I tried making my own spiced oil it didn't last long and I suspect I didn't filter it well enough as it went a bit rancid even refrigerated, hence I'm keen to buy the Chalice stuff.

Think I'll contact them and ask for a list of stockists.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Hi Natterjack,

Already done that mate. They sent me an e-mail saying that Aldi, did it as a special, but Asda stores stock it. Not all the Asda stores stock it, but if you ask customer service in a particular store, they will be able to tell you which stores do.

I am thinking of experimenting with a basic base sauce, and probably around 2 litres of oil to start with. I'll let you know what I come up with and whether it turns out well or not. I'm thinking along the same lines as you, that you must be able to take off the oil without any of the base so it will last longer :)

ummmmmm.... food for thought here :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I've also sent a product suggestion to Ocado as it would be perfect to be able to add them to my weekly shop.
Isn't it the case that Ocado stock only what Waitrose sell ?
** Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13 PM »
No they stock whatever they choose.  A large proportion of Waitrose goods but that is reducing now Ocado and Waitrose are locked in direct competition for the same customers.  I've recently noticed they are selling fewer and fewer Waitrose products and more Ocado branded goods of inferior quality (and cheaper price).  Some background reading for you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/19/ocado-shares-plunge-waitrose-competition

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Hi Natterjack,

Already done that mate. They sent me an e-mail saying that Aldi, did it as a special, but Asda stores stock it. Not all the Asda stores stock it, but if you ask customer service in a particular store, they will be able to tell you which stores do.

I am thinking of experimenting with a basic base sauce, and probably around 2 litres of oil to start with. I'll let you know what I come up with and whether it turns out well or not. I'm thinking along the same lines as you, that you must be able to take off the oil without any of the base so it will last longer :)

Let us know how you get on.  I have a feeling you might need to do some filtering through muslin cloth to get all the bits out and stop the oil having a short shelf life.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Hi Natterjack,

Let us know how you get on.  I have a feeling you might need to do some filtering through muslin cloth to get all the bits out and stop the oil having a short shelf life.

Hi Natterjack, I'm thinking that it is the base in the oil which isn't separating that is causing the short shelf life.

When I make a roast at the weekend or whenever for that matter, I take the meat out of the dish, leave it to one side and then let the liquid left in the dish to rest, which will allow the oil naturally rise to the surface which I then spoon off and keep for roasting potatoes at a later date as it's the residue I want for the stock for the gravy.

If we now consider a spiced oil, then completely the opposite, I want to let that oil rest and rise to the surface, then spoon off as much as I can without any of the base, giving me a clear oil which is that what I get from the roast.

I'm thinking that a muslin cloth will not separate the oil from the base and still leave it in there to a degree, which will go off, and spoil the oil or shorten it's shelf life if you see what I mean...

I'll probably not get around to doing this much before Xmas, but will give it a go and see what we can achieve :)

If anyone else has the time to try this before I do, I would be interested with the results :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 07:43 PM »
No they stock whatever they choose.  A large proportion of Waitrose goods but that is reducing now Ocado and Waitrose are locked in direct competition for the same customers.  I've recently noticed they are selling fewer and fewer Waitrose products and more Ocado branded goods of inferior quality (and cheaper price).  Some background reading for you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/19/ocado-shares-plunge-waitrose-competition
Oh dear.  I have to say, I was very surprised when they refused point blank to allow me to say "no substitutions" on my order, although they did say they would consider it for a future option.  But when I order Entremont Speciality Terroirs Du Comte  200g and they substitute Ferrari Pecorino Romano  200g  instead of Marcel Petite's Comte Waitrose  Typical weight: 218g, it does make you wonder whether they have an automaton in charge of the substitution process rather than an intelligent human being ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes