Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79626 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:05 AM »
How much is a spoon please, you mean a teaspoon or table spoon? Also, how many people is to serve? Will certainly be trying it if it is good enough for the staff...

desert spoon, all acording how much meat you use but usualy 3 to 3 people

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10 PM »
made this tuesday night - was not disappointed. please note it's not BIR as we know it - it's more like a refined handed down english in india curry (see below).

only thing going forward would be to reduce the cinnamon - i used a full stick (180mm) but third is more like. i thought there might have been too much chilli (for my good lady but it was just right). i'd like to try fresh toms too.

it served 2 people.

liked the spice mix and must try out in my norm dishes.

really delighted and many thanks to ifndforu.

used recipe measures:
onion 370g
oil 60 ml
mix powder 20ml
tin toms 200g
water 100ml
water after blending 100ml

english in india curry:

this recipe took me back to wolverhampton market where a lady would make curry powder to order. at this time i made "curry" from a handed down recipe that must have originated from english in india. the taste was never that good and KD1 soon arrived and rest history as we know. the recipe was essential the same in method as ifindforu's but lacking that inside knowledge.

for me the effort to replicate BIR at home for say 10 off portions used over a week is huge and although the result well worth it - i can't get curry at home with ease. this recipe changes that in that a midweek very decent curry on an easy 2 hr window is now a reality.

i must admit too that the idea of feeding in what i already know is tantalising - for example trying a bit of coriander root in next time. what i'm saying is i can try out ideas on 2 off portions c/w with 10 or 12 off in my normal size base. well pleased.

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Made this tonight. I thought it superb. Had a fresh vibrant taste to it. It might not be a BIR, but it's similar in a way. I will be making this more often than a BIR now because it's just so much less hastle and taste wonderful.

Instead of making the a ruck of the spice powder using desert spoons, I just made enough for the one curry by using teaspoons, the spices came to about 2 desert spoons anyway so that is as per your recipe.

Not much else to add. I used some chicken (which was supper tender cooked this method) chillies, peppers, mushrooms, 4 salad potatoes and a can of chickpeas...

It was fantastic, that's all I can say. I think it's open to pimping as well to turn it into any style you want.

Oh, and there is plenty of oil for the reclaiming ready for the next curry.

Thank you, IfindForU

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39 AM »
I too was given a staff curry recipe from my local. i never posted it as i felt it was not bir enough. This was 3 years ago.  I will try to find it and post it.  It was useful as it was the only time i could replicate one of there curries. It was very nice. It also confimed to me that the spice mix they shared was the real deal. Its a shame they were not so sharing with there base and madras. Their staff curry had some bones in it and pumpkin pieces, and was hot like a jelfrezzi. I will try to find it for you guys, its actually better than many cook book recipes. They added so much spice mix, but watered it down, and kept reducing it afterwards. Just like they do with bhuna. It still amazes me how they managed to put half a chef spoon of spice mix in a madras, yet it tastes sweet, not spicy. When i do this at home it ruins my curry. Even if i add lots of base and evaporate it all.  Odd hey !

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13 AM »
forgot to include the measure of salt i used - my standard being 0.5 tsp per potion (in base) - so used 5 ml or 1 tsp for this recipe.

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I find, I made your curry and took a picture here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6229.msg62071;topicseen#msg62071

I love it! Thanks.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47 PM »
just realised from madeinbeats pic - for info only i blended mine at the end.

either way top notch curry.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:16 PM »

im not quite sure but i think you would have to remove the fresh spices ect cinamon cadamon and bay leaf but keep it up Jerry ps just made a bhuna his wife showed me,if you want ill give you the recipe

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21 PM »

Aye, the first time I made it I cooked it for about 3 hours and the onions and tomatoes had totally broke down as if it had been blended. This method makes the meat ultra soft as well. I also added a star anise.

Yes please iFind, please post the other one you mentioned too  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 07:48 PM »
sorry was not clear on the blending - i removed the cinnamon and bay leaves and 4 off of the cardamom before blending (ie i left 1 off cardamom in as i like the extra taste it adds when blended in).

i'm aiming to make this again this week and intend to add in some coriander root (std ingredient for base for me).

ps ifindforu - would much appreciate bhuna recipe.

©2024 Curry Recipes