Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79630 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41 AM »
these effectively small batches of base are spot on for trying things out.

i had mustard oil on my mind for adding into base. mustard oil being a must for me in marinades.

in short i'm won't be using it again in base. if it does makes a difference (i can't tell any) then it's too small to detect.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means cook slowly for about 2 hours

I thought "bhoona", as a process, is to fry powdered spices (or a paste of powdered spices) in oil; not slow cooking them, with lots of other stuff, in water?
bhuna means slow cook water must be added not to burn the spices too much,by the way water is added slowly bit at a time but as you seem to know everything you have nothing to learn off me
mind you C/A i have nothing to learn off you

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Looking forward to making this tonight. Happy days!

Rob  :)   

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Made a few changes.  Result was pretty good, not quite there as I've been shown, but near enough.  Hopefully get a few pics up tomorrow and some discussion going on Bengali staff curry, and how it relates/has been developed/adapted etc. into modern day BIR faire.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2013, 11:52 PM »
Made a few changes.  Result was pretty good, not quite there as I've been shown, but near enough.  Hopefully get a few pics up tomorrow and some discussion going on Bengali staff curry, and how it relates/has been developed/adapted etc. into modern day BIR fare.Rob  :)

Jolly good.  But did you make the "few changes" because it did not taste as you hoped it would, or because you lacked certain ingredients, or for some other reason(s) ?

** Phil.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Made a few changes.  Result was pretty good, not quite there as I've been shown, but near enough.  Hopefully get a few pics up tomorrow and some discussion going on Bengali staff curry, and how it relates/has been developed/adapted etc. into modern day BIR fare.Rob  :)

Jolly good.  But did you make the "few changes" because it did not taste as you hoped it would, or because you lacked certain ingredients, or for some other reason(s) ?

** Phil.

I couldn't see how the spice mix in the recipe was going to work Phil.  So I just used turmeric and mix powder.  Got carried away a bit (after finding some notes I made) and ended up making a staff curry similar to my local TA.  Cassia bark, panch phoran, green cardamon, clove, and 10 sliced green chillies.  Chicken shatkora bhuna. Very tasty.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Got carried away a bit (after finding some notes I made) and ended up making a staff curry similar to my local TA.  Cassia bark, panch phoran, green cardamon, clove, and 10 sliced green chillies.  Chicken shatkora bhuna. Very tasty.

Bengali Bob,

i can understand exactly what you say. this as spec dish is so tantalizing in that it shouts out, "make me as you would like to suit your own taste buds".

when time permits i'd really like to try out a few variations or "versions". in your version how are you getting the shatkora bit.

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2014, 05:01 PM »
You all know that staff in the indian take away or restaurant eat different curry than comercial curry but is still damn good so ive decided to share what ive seen with you
Ok here is the mix
2 spoons of chilli powder
8 spoons of donia /corianda
1 spoon of haldi /turmaric
1 spoon of jeera /cummin
in a saucepan put about half a mug of oil,1 piece of cinamon 5 caddamoms,and 2 bay leaves
start frying for about 4 mins stirring making sure no burning.Now ad some chopped onion finely choped about 2 large onions,also add a spoon sull of garlic ginger paste the ratio is 2 times ginger to 1 times garlic,plus some salt
keep stirring for about 6 mins now add 2 deswrt spoon of spice powder 2 fresh tomatoes cut into halves also add your meat.Now let the mix powder fry for about 30 seconds.Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means slow cook for about 2 hours.to make hotter add a little lemon and some more chili.This mix is nearly always used in bengali homes by the time 2 hours have past the onions   and tomatoes would have melted giving you a nice curry dont forget fresh coriander the last 2 mins. THIS IS STAFF CURRY.hOPE YOU ENJOY

This isw very similar to the staff curry which I saw being made a few times at my local restaurant.  But the did add a few cloves.  I never did find out what their spice mix was made of.  The owner wasn't very forthcoming in sharing information..

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Just made a staff curry with reference to H4ppy Chris's YouTube vid and was struck how similar (identical?) the recipe was to this one posted years ago by ifindforu. Seems the BIRs do all cook their staff curries the same way.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Seems the BIRs do all cook their staff curries the same way.

Or Chris half-inched the recipe from ifindforu!  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes