Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79643 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Seems the BIRs do all cook their staff curries the same way.

Or Chris half-inched the recipe from ifindforu!  ;)

Now then SS, would he ever do such a thing! ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2018, 10:03 PM »
i received my packet of gold yesterday from ifindforu.

it's in an air tight vac pack sealed bag - very impressive - enough for 2 off or maybe 4 off portions

the colour sits very well for me - it's lighter than the mouchak and quite a bit darker than the staff curry mix.

i want to keep it fresh so not going to taste it until i have base - aiming to make base next weekend.

many thanks to ifindforu - going to be interesting trying to work out how it differs from the mouchak.

ps i was thinking of making 2 off batches of staff curry one with mouchak mix and the other with the sent mix. however feel i'd like to try the curry2go vindaloo so will need to make base and prep.

Did anything ever come out of this? Did the forum eventually discover the formula or brands used in ifindforu's mixed powder? Even after receiving a batch, I can't see any further reference to it in Jerry's subsequent posts.

Comment, Geewhiz, there were some turbulent and emotive posts in the period just before I joined the forum. There was obviously a lot of passion about the true BIR curry. Whenever I go back and read old posts the tension is palpable.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2018, 07:37 AM »
IFFU mix powder blend is here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7635.0

I think he subsequently started making up bags of it and selling on eBay, using Jalpur Garam masala and eastern star curry powder. No idea how well it went for him, but Jerry seemed pleased with the product.

The IFFU blend is the one I most commonly use at home, although I mix it myself.  Really good, in my estimation at least.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:58 AM by Sverige »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for that Sverige.  Turns out it was easy to find anyway in the List of Mixed Powders thread.  :o  Plus my oldtimers is setting in.  I'd included it in my own analysis 2 1/2 years ago, and as it turns out I've pretty much been using it ever since. Doh!!! ???  Only difference being that I haven't used his stipulated brands and I doubt I can obtain them easily out here.

I love the post you linked to.  Created at 5.26 am on Xmas morning. Modified at 8.44 am and IFFU is on his way to have a pint.  Well it was Xmas.

Funny place an internet forum.  I've been reading the different threads about this.  People hounded Ifindforu for his Mixed Powder "Secret", which turned out to be a pretty ordinary ration of common spices with just Eastern Star curry powder and Jalpur Garam Masala as stipulated brands to use.  He probably deserved to be hounded because he did appear to be teasing it out quite  a bit.  Shortly after he released it to the forum, people went out and discussed the purchase of Jalpur GM. IFFU was asking for people to feedback on it's use.  Nada, nought, nothing, zip.  Nobody appears to have even hinted that there was anything even barely noticeable in it's use.  In fact it appears that nobody said anything at all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:15 AM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Funny place an internet forum.

Internet fora are indeed very odd places.  I am often surprised that the phrase "forum rage" hasn't yet entered most people's idiolects, unlike "road rage".  I think that the two phenomena are very similar in many respects.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes