Author Topic: Tandoori Chicken video and recipe from one of Scotlands best Indian restaurants  (Read 9283 times)

Offline etavirp

• Chef
    • View Profile
This recipe comes from owner/chef at Scotlands best North Indian restaurant, The Dhabba in Glasgow. Well worth a try and some handy tips are given.

150g yogurt
    3 tsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp ginger paste
    2 tbsp garlic paste
    1 heaped tsp ground fenugreek seeds
    1 tsp salt, plus extra to taste
    75 ml mustard seed oil
    1 1/2 tsp garam masala
    2 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek
    2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 1/2 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp red chilli powder
    4 tsp tandoori masala powder
    1 kg chicken, on the bone, in large pieces, skinless

1. Put the yogurt into a muslin cloth and hang it over a bowl for 10 minutes to remove any excess liquid (or use Greek yoghurt as a substitute)

2. Put the lemon juice, ginger, garlic, fenugreek, salt, mustard seed oil, garam masala, cumin, coriander and chilli powder in a large non-reactive dish and stir to combine. Add tandoori masala powder and more salt to taste.

3. Add the chicken to the dish and massage the marinade into the meat. Mix in the yogurt and rub the marinade in a little more. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 4-5 hours or overnight. Remove the chicken from the fridge about an hour before cooking to bring it back to room temperature.

4. For best results, cook the chicken in an authentic tandoor oven by skewering the meat and following manufacturer?s instructions. Alternatively use a normal oven: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6 and set a shelf in the top third of the oven where it is most hot.

5. Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess and place the chicken pieces on a baking tray. Discard the leftover marinade. Place the tray in the top part of the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. You will know it is done as the juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part with a skewer and the flesh should remain springy to the touch.

Here's a link to the video

Tandoori Chicken prepared the Dhabba way with John Torode

Seems the key things are to use hung yoghurt and add the spices to the meat before adding the yoghurt.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:10 AM by etavirp »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Great video my friend, Can't believe the chef called fresh ginger, "Ground Ginger" though, and the recipe states ground ginger

HS

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Also the ground fenugreek is brown mine is white  :o

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
If you like Blades tikka you

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
So after a little research I now think that Hardeep Singh Koli is the Sikh in the dastaar, John Torode is the sole non-Asian, but who is the balding chap with the Scots accenf in the middle ?  Incidentally, the second brown ground spice is referred to as ground coriander in the dialogue, not ground fenugreek.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Some blinding research skills there Phil. Did you just scroll down below the YouTube video to where the description is, or did you use a much more scientific process?

By the way, the guy in the middle is Peet Basi.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Since I had no idea what John Torode or Hardeep Singh Koli look like, the description below the video conveys nothing in terms of actually identifying who is who out of the three members of the cast :

Our chef shows Masterchef judge John Torode and Broadcaster Hardeep Singh Koli how to prepare Tandoori Chicken -- without a Tandoor!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hilarious, Phil.

Very near the start, Peet is referred to by name, so that leaves Hardeep Singh Koli and John Torode. Now I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I think I could hazard a pretty good guess as to which is which.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Yes, I could have hazarded a guess, but I preferred to seek the facts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:58 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
As in Sikh the facts lol

©2024 Curry Recipes